News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:03:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Speedo Cable Retainer - Transfer Case  (Read 1156 times)

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Speedo Cable Retainer - Transfer Case
« on: September 08, 2021, 11:01:13 PM »
I removed the metal speedo cover on the transfer case, and the speedo cable is being held in by a red, plastic retainer. I figure it was threaded and attempted to spin it counter clockwise to free the speedo cable, but apparently I thought wrong. I can't figure out what is holding that piece in. Can some one who has pulled their transfer case tell me what the deal is?

Do I just yank on the cable and pop it out? It doesn't appear to be threaded so spinning it didn't do anything. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
Re: Speedo Cable Retainer - Transfer Case
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 10:26:05 AM »
Remove the clip and pull the end off of the cable there is an o ring on the cable. Why do you need to remove it?  Unless you need to change the O ring thats holding it on. The cable itself should come out from the speedometer end. The drive gear should should come off just by removing the clip and puling on the gear. http://amceaglesden.com/guide/images/a/a1/84880263.jpg
« Last Edit: September 09, 2021, 10:34:26 AM by rmick »
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline jrpentolino

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • You can do it right, or do it twice.
Re: Speedo Cable Retainer - Transfer Case
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2021, 10:56:05 AM »
Thank you for the diagram! I did not see that retaining clip, but I'll look at it tonight. Thank you for the help.
'82 Eagle SX/4, 4.2L 5 speed - Father / Daughter Build

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk