News:
Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.  And, if you were you banned at another AMC Eagle Forum and cannot log in here?  Let us know and we will fix it for you. 

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 30, 2020, 11:45:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Installing an Eaton E-Locker into an Eagle Dana 30  (Read 2461 times)

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
Re: Installing an Eaton E-Locker into an Eagle Dana 30
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2020, 09:11:28 AM »
I don't understand all that you are doing but I am certainly impressed by it!  Keep up the good work!

I'm trying to adapt an Eaton E-Locker4 to the Eagle Dana 30 IFS. The E-Locker4 has four spider gears for strength, but that leaves no space to insert the poodle ring that retains the left stub axle. Without that poodle ring, the stub axle just slides out, which would be bad if it happened in the car.

I was trying to modify the Eaton to allow use of the poodle ring. I figured out how and finally got there, but the "cost" in terms of cutting a slot in the gears is too high.

So I remembered I saw a VW system for retaining stub axles that uses a taper lock. I'm going to try modifying the Eagle stub axle to have a taper lock.

To that end I found these and ordered some to play with: https://www.bmikarts.com/Right-Taper-Nut-M8-For-Steel-Steering-Tie-Rod_p_30375.html

Maybe the MFG can tell me what the taper is... but if not I can measure it. This and a long socket cap screw should make the taper lock idea doable.

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2020, 09:19:07 AM »
Good work! I’m following! It seems at this point an e-clip with a “tongue” would let a tool grab it. Maybe a tongue with a hole so it could be hooked. Then it’d clear the pin block and spider gears. Also, once all this is complete, let me know where to send my locker to have it modded!  ;)

The poodle ring has a natural loop in it for a tool to hook in order to remove it from the shaft. I actually got to the point at which I could do that, BUT I have to cut slots in two spider gears to do so... And once I actually saw how big the slot has to be to do that, it's obvious that's not a good course of action.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 189
« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2020, 01:44:51 PM »
Thanks for the simplified explanation and good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2020, 10:27:10 AM »
The taper is 4°16’15”, which comes out to 4.271 degrees. That's not really close to any of the normal tapers...
It looks like it's designed to be a 4.25° taper

Code: [Select]
Nominal     Degrees       Deviation
4°16’15”    4.270833333   0             (what the shop QC guy measured with CMM)
4.25        4.25          0.020833333
0.037/inch  4.23795447    0.032878864   (what my dad and I measured mechanically)
7/8"/ft     4.175967665   0.094865668
4mm/50mm    4.581220085   0.310386752

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
I am impressed dude! You are taking the time to think this out properly. I approve!

I am running a late model D35 Lock-Right in the stock D30 carrier. I ordered a used one off Ebay and the seller said it came out of his '94 Wrangler. When I asked what the bill of lading was on his axle he didn't know. So bought it anyways and found it wouldn't fit my AMC15 carrier. Then I remembered that the D30, AMC15, and D35 are all 27 spline by like 1.300" shaft diameter. So I took a side gear from the Lock-Right and slid it over a spare front shaft and if fit as expected. I then put the side gear in a D30 carrier and it fit. I then measured the inside dimensions of the D30 and D35 carriers from thrust face to thrust face and found they were the same. I then had my dad who is a machinist cut C-clip grooves in my D30 shafts. BAM! Locked front.

I would much prefer a selectable locker but oh well. At the time OX didn't make one for the 3.55 and down D30. I have several OX's and really like them.

The Eaton is is a LSD when unlocked right? Is that what you are after?
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk