Choose style:

Author Topic: Valve cover questions  (Read 60 times)

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Valve cover questions
« on: March 12, 2018, 05:30:59 PM »
I have replced valve cover gaskets twice, once with felt and the second with rubber.  Not having any luck with either.  I even replaced valve cover.  I was told that I don't need a gasket at all just silicone engine and valve cover.  Is this correct?  Also how do I get around the A/C line that goes over valve cover?  I don't want to unhook if possible as A/C works great.  Any suggestions appreciated.

Online mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Valve cover questions
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 06:27:45 PM »
Do you have the plastic v.c. or aluminum one ? I'm not trying to be ignorant but are you sure it's the v.c. leaking? I used High Tack to hold gasket in place and did not over torque the bolts. My AC does not work so the line was not an issue for me .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
 '84 wagon parts

Offline luvmyeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 06:51:39 PM »
I think it is the gaskets but I'm wondering do I need a gasket?  I was told no but I think I need one. The a/c works great so I do not want to unhook it, can I go to a metal cover without driliing or tapping it?

Online AMC1

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:01:58 PM »
If it's leaking with a gasket why would you think it won't without one. Maybe you're thinking if using a liquid cement etc. Both plastic & aluminum covers require a gasket but I suppose you could try something else. I have both plastic & aluminum in different cars. Neither leak. The aluminum I had to tap the (5) side holes but not the front & rear. I didn't have to drill any of them.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 27 queries.