News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 01:10:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a cast aluminum transmission pan for the TF998?  (Read 9006 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Is there a cast aluminum transmission pan for the TF998?
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2018, 11:32:29 AM »
So I looked under the various transmission pans on the Summit web site and I didn't find any that specifically said Torqueflite 998 (unless I missed it).  I did find a couple that were for a Torqueflite A-904.  Will a transmission pan for a Torqueflite A-904 fit a Torqueflite 998?
From what I understand, the 998 is just a lockup converter version of the 904.  Both transmissions share the same non-4X4 and lockup specific parts.  I once made a 998 into a non-locker by using the input shaft, valve body, and torque converter from a 904.  The pan is the same.

That's a relief.  I was thinking I wouldn't be able to get a cast aluminum pan for my transmission.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2018, 11:33:52 AM »
As rollguy said the pan is the same. Does that pan have a drain plug? Just maybe swap the magnet to the new pan than your good. I would ask your better half to also replace the shifter o ring. I cannot remember how to do so however. That knowledge is gone from me.

I didn't notice if the pans I looked at had drain plugs.  I didn't notice one on my pan when I was under there tightening the pan bolts but I wasn't looking for it.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2018, 11:35:47 AM »
hi, yes the 904 and 998 are more or less the same trans. the 998 is the HD version of the 904. same pan. The aluminum ones are nice, but I personally prefer the deep steel pan from Mopar, your local Chrysler dealer. Reason being that if you hit a , say, big rock, with it, a steel pan will dent, and still get you home, while an aluminum one will crack, and its game over. good luck, gz

Yes, when I mentioned to my husband I was looking at a cast aluminum pan he said the same thing and didn't like the idea.  I'm not too concerned about it as nowadays the SX./4 only drives in the city although I suppose its possible I could hit a really big pothole or something.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2018, 01:31:38 PM »
The Summit pans do indeed have a drain plug.   I have them on 5 of my cars; but I don't off-road at all, so I'm not too concerned about holing one.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2018, 01:11:18 PM »
priya, I have a deep stamped steel trans pan I bought from our local Chrysler dealership and installed it on my 86 sedan thinking that would stop the leak. But it still leaked so off it came and I installed the aluminum pan which of course it still leaked because of the shift shaft seal being bad. Anyway I have this deep steel pan and if you want it its yours for the ride. I believe your in Canada and don't know what it would cost to ship but anyway if you want it just let me know and you can pm me your address I'll box it up and take it to the local post office and it will be on its way.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2018, 05:12:27 PM »
Whichever you choose steel/aluminum will do the job. Keep in the back of your mind that aluminum does warp however, especially in high humidity. I've seen it in my basement where upon putting a straight edge across a part & see the gap. I know your not putting it there but still- - - - .
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2018, 08:19:01 PM »
priya, I have a deep stamped steel trans pan I bought from our local Chrysler dealership and installed it on my 86 sedan thinking that would stop the leak. But it still leaked so off it came and I installed the aluminum pan which of course it still leaked because of the shift shaft seal being bad. Anyway I have this deep steel pan and if you want it its yours for the ride. I believe your in Canada and don't know what it would cost to ship but anyway if you want it just let me know and you can pm me your address I'll box it up and take it to the local post office and it will be on its way.

Thanks eagleman.  I think if I change pans I'm going to go with a cast aluminum one but I'll keep your offer in mind.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2018, 08:33:57 PM »
priya, I think that's a good choice but never the less my offer stands should you change your mind.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2018, 09:33:15 PM »
And if you want to check out those reusable hard-plastic O-ringed gaskets, the MOPAR part number is 04295875AC.   Around $15 each delivered on Ebay.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2018, 06:05:32 PM »
Thanks guys  :)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk