News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 12:57:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine Color 1984  (Read 2565 times)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Engine Color 1984
« on: January 02, 2013, 01:47:14 PM »
So I have my engine removed (258) and am dissasembling for rebuild, This is an 84 Limited Wagon

Engine is black, but while cleaning the oil pan yesterday in the parts wash its AMC blue under the black paint?

What year did the engine colors change? Were the Eagle engines a different color than the regular cars? My 78 AMX has the blue 258 as does the Gremlin.

Dont know why they would paint it twice? Besides if I am correct the Eagle oil pan is specific to the Eagle, right?

Im not a big fan of the black anyway and am going to paint it all AMC blue before it goes back in, but thought the two color oil pan was interesting

Rob
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
Re: Engine Color 1984
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2013, 02:48:10 PM »
My 84 has a black engine, the 81 had a blue engine (I painted it black), I never tried scraping any paint off the 84 to see if there was blue underneith though.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline TLC87Eagle

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2013, 04:32:29 PM »
Yeah, the engine should be black for Eagles 1981 and up, though some early models in 81 will most likely have blue paint along with the steel valve cover. I know AMC had some carry overs though the model years, as my 87 (#58 for that model year) had an 86 model engine with the plastic valve cover rather than the aluminum one. 

And yes, the Eagle oil pan is specific to the Eagles with the sump in the rear to clear the front axle. I believe most other engines have a sump in the front.

I also thought about painting my engine the old AMC blue/teal color they used on the 390s in AMXs.
Not sure if that is the same shade they used in 1980 or not. But I went with just black cause it was easier to find, and doesn't show dirt as much, since mine is a daily driver.
1987 Eagle Wagon Limited

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:40 PM »
Here is the correct color for 1980-82 AMC engines (color orginally introduced in '73)
http://www.amarkamc.com/product.sc?productId=328&categoryId=34
 By 1984 all engines were black. Your motor is most likely a transplant from an earlier car.
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2013, 07:27:22 PM »
I have had the car about 10 years, not sure if engine was out or replaced at some point, it's hard to tell, it's just the oil pan that's blue under the black, the rest of the block is black. I know the tranny was out before I got it.

Maybe the oil pan was replaced at some point?

I too like how the earlier amc blue looks, I redid a 196 in a 64 American, that's a really nice blue metallic color

Thanks
Rob c
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline BlueEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2013, 07:44:10 PM »
My 81 wagon had the original motor painted the dark teal color until I removed and rebuilt it.  I repainted it a lighter teal color so that my eyes which see so poorly in the dark these days would be able to easier see any leaks that might pop up. Black is such a terrible color to paint an engine, you can't tell the crud from the metal underneath, but I can see sticking to how it came out of the plant.

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2013, 08:09:31 PM »
My '82 is original, still AMC blue.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk