News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 07:30:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: No Drive or Reverse  (Read 7666 times)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: No Drive or Reverse
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 12:31:00 PM »
You can pull a 998/999 out of a Wrangler with a 258 or 4.0. You'll just have to switch to the 4.0 flexplate and starter if you grab one of those but it's only a few more bolts to get the flywheel as well and the starter has to come out so it's not really any more work.

Any 4wd 3-speed 9XX mated to an AMC six or V8 after '72 will fit right in, physically. The 904s may be a little weak if you're hard on them.
Why would you have to switch flexplates? Are the torque converters different? I'm using a 4.0L YJ flexplate on my stock Eagle transmission so that I can use the later starter.

I have done the same eaglefreek. Untill I went to a manual trasmission

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: No Drive or Reverse
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2012, 08:40:04 PM »
Bought her today for $300 and TRIED to bring her home.  I figured I would check the transmission fluid once the engine got warm after driving for a little while.  After about a mile or two of driving, I heard a belt snap and the power steering went out–I thought, okay, not too bad.  After about another two miles, I noticed the car was overheating.  At this point, I found a nice area to pull off at and I shut the engine off.  I tried to open the hood, but it wouldn't release.  I didn't have any pliers to release up front, so I couldn't open it and check any of the fluids.  I'm pretty sure the coolant is low, and there may be a leak.  I had to leave the car there.  A friend is going to help me pick it up tomorrow morning with his flatbed.

One thing to note about the transmission is that I tried putting it into drive at some point, and it worked!  Well, it worked for about a minute before it slipped back out of gear.
   That could be low fluid, clogged filter or the seal in the front drum gone hard. If it's the latter, then a can of STP engine oil treatment will usually nurse the trans by for quite a while as long as you let it firmly engage before pushing it hard. I even had to do that to the 727 I put in my Eagle because it sat so long the seals dried out. Now it shifts solid and right away in the AM after only 100 miles.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk