News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 04:49:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Same engines, big difference?  (Read 6665 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Same engines, big difference?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
And what does the vacuum reservoir (for the heater control valve) look like? I can't seem to locate this in my TSM.
Are the vacuum motors on the breather neck crucial?

The vacuum reservoir is either a black tin can or a plastic ball like the 81, they seemed to use them interchangeably.

One vacuum motor on the air cleaner brings heated air from the exhaust and the car may run just fine without it, although your carb may ice up on cold, humid days; I've had it happen in other cars.

The other vacuum motor just needs a delay valve and a line to any manifold vacuum source. It closes the filter off so that gas vapors go into the canister and don't evaporate and make the front of the car smell like gasoline on hot days. Without it hooked up you have very little air flow to the engine. The delay valve, sometimes with a small reservoir or in a pinch just a check valve will do, keeps the door from slamming shut when you're accelerating hard and is absolutely necessary.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2012, 01:35:05 PM »
Here is the underside of the hood on my '81 Wagon

On the left side of the pic (passenger's side) behind the York compressor is the air suspension/on board air pump. I finally dug enough stuff out of the way to get a pic (and start the trans swap) On the right side of pic (driver's side) you'll see the AIR system compressor people have been telling me don't exist in Eagles.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2012, 01:38:04 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2012, 06:47:37 PM »
On the right side of pic (driver's side) you'll see the AIR system compressor people have been telling me don't exist in Eagles.

Here in Cali all the Eagles have an A.I.R. (Air Injection Reactor) pump.  The pulse air system must have replaced the A.I.R. system, as I have not seen both on the same engine.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk