News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 04:55:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Howdy. I got the shell of an 81 SX4  (Read 7876 times)

Offline NIIX

• Aesthetic Engineer
  • Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • nothing is ever finished... you just stop working
Re: Howdy. I got the shell of an 81 SX4
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2012, 09:01:02 PM »
Wow.  Thanks everybody for the in-depth and informative input!  I've been talking with another monkey about the 4BT, and I came to the same conclusion about weight/performance/and suspension, so that one's out. 

I did find two cores from a '85 jeep Wagoneer, and a Cherokee.  I've been doing some digging to get some information about what those engines were (Renault or the "Valmet" 411?)  But i'm not getting too much information about the availability of parts to rebuild/build it, so... maybe I'll look into the other light-truck/ Benz otpions. 

The reason that I asksked about the diesel-swap is two-fold.  First, I own a diesel at the moment, and enjoy the reliable and consistant power it provides.  (not really too conserned with speed)  Secondly, I am also considering doing it as a biodiesel, which would make the Benz option much more accessable, due to the availability of the conversion kit (not to mention the advice of many others who have done a bio-conversion on those engines).

My driving style is "I want to be...there, if I can make it", but I don't fancy bouldering so much.  A unused forest trail would be about the extent of my "muddin".  I'm definitely not putting a snorkel on her.

If I compile all the cost/benifit anylisis, the diesel conversion might have to wait until later. 

I might just go with a jeep 4.0 swap... unless someone can tell me a good reason to rebuild the 151 Duke that I have in it now.

I'm in Damascus, and I look forward to the Clackamette Meet!  Howdy Oregon Eagles!

--Oh, and if anyone's interested I saw a '81 Kammback for sale for $600. 

1981 SX4

Ignorance is bliss... When it is folly to be wise.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2012, 09:25:45 PM »

The reason that I asksked about the diesel-swap is two-fold.  First, I own a diesel at the moment, and enjoy the reliable and consistant power it provides.  (not really too conserned with speed)  Secondly, I am also considering doing it as a biodiesel, which would make the Benz option much more accessable, due to the availability of the conversion kit (not to mention the advice of many others who have done a bio-conversion on those engines).

I have been running Biofuel in my Diesels for a few years now, and have gained a lot of knowledge and experience.   IMO the 'Benz is the best option for a Diesel swap because of the availability of cheap donor cars and cheap parts.  There is not another Diesel engine out there that is more available or as cheap as the 'Benz.   They also have the most robust and forgivable fuel injection system when using Biofuel (especially veg oil).  Most other pump designs are rotary, and are much less tolerant of cold veg oil.   The Bosch inline injection pump on the 'Benz is the best pump on the planet in my opinion.  There are threads here about alternative fuels and Diesel swaps, and I have commented in most of them. There is also no need to run any kind of "conversion kit" unless you are in a very cold climate.   Also, no conversion is needed when running biodiesel.  Biodiesel is made by the transesterification process: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biodiesel_production
If you want to run SVO or WVO, there are ways to run it without any added equipment, unless you are in a very cold climate: http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/cfrm/f/5451014871
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline NIIX

• Aesthetic Engineer
  • Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • nothing is ever finished... you just stop working
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2012, 09:23:37 PM »
THX rollguy... good to know.  I'm wading through a massive amount of information, and it's good to hear an old-hand seperate the wheat from the chaff.

I've heard about the warming units, and it does seem that the "kits" are snake-oil purchases. 

There's a pick'n pull down the road that's got a wealth of benz to pull from, so looks like I'll be taking a field-trip.

So I guess this could start a new thread... Bio-Dieagle conversions?
1981 SX4

Ignorance is bliss... When it is folly to be wise.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk