News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 09:09:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Exploring my options...  (Read 1866 times)

Offline Ivan Ingram

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Exploring my options...
« on: June 18, 2011, 01:10:58 PM »
After hunting for a while, I finally managed to get my hands on a eagle wagon. My parents sold theirs when I was two, and I wanted one ever since.

Anyway, Currently, it does not run well. Immediate projects include rebuilding the carb, changing oil,etc... basically a good tune up, or at least good enough to cart it about the yard while I deal with more immediate problems.

The goal though, is to have it as a winter daily driver (summer DD is going to be my '63 spitfire) so I've been exploring options as far as engine mods go. Head swap, EFI, etc...

I started thinking that probably the most straight forward thing to do would be to buy a totalled Jeep grand cherokee or something with the 4.0 High Output. I can usually find these at the local insurance auctions for <$500 in good mechanical order. I can salvage what I want/need and sell the rest.

I'm still not sure exactly what mod/swap I want to do yet, but I imagine that a straight engine swap would probably be the most straight forward?

or a cylinder head swap...could I use the whole FI system from the jeep?

The transmission?, the automagic in mine is rubbish and I want to swap in a manual.

I don't plan on tackling this till next spring, so I have until then to make up my mind.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or opinions.

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
Re: Exploring my options...
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:20:56 AM »
You would be better off retaining the 4.2 engine/carburetion system and adding the 4.0 head to the 4.2.  You will have the opportunity to clean up 99% of the vacuum lines and wiring and swapping out to a complete manual carburetion setup.

If you are capable of installing the TBI setup/computer/etc go for it, but a simple and inexpensive way is keeping the carb.  The 4.0 head on the 4.2 block is roughly a 40hp addition.  Ad a solid ignition system such as the TFI or HEI and a better carburetor and you are set.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline Ivan Ingram

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Exploring my options...
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 02:34:09 PM »
Currently (though that may change) I am rather keen on going Fuel injection.

Rather than swapping the whole block, I guess it would be more practical to transplant the cylinder head,FI, and whatever else to the existing block.

If I were to do a head swap, efi conversion, how much of what I need could be pulled from a newer jeep and what would I need to get new? From what i've managed to find out, I can reuse the majority of the parts

I am rather keen on just getting a parts jeep since Id really rather not have to do frequent runs to the junkyard and I get the impression buying all the parts on their own would quickly run up the cost, likely surpassing what it would cost to buy a whole car.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk