News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 03:00:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: brake drum adjustment problem  (Read 15197 times)

68AMXGOPAC

Re: brake drum adjustment problem
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2011, 09:45:38 PM »
Well , I really knew you were serious, but they are so prone to breaking, I would fear to hit them. I usually soak them with PB Blater for a couple of days ahead.I also will hit a phillips or a bolt straight on to " shock" it, with the driver or socket in place, it does work well, or even try to give it a jolt in the tightening direction to.Alot of the bikes I work on are from the early 20's to 30's , takes alot of patience to get some fastners out.I have trouble getting sockets/wrenches for the BSF applications. ( British fine thread).

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2011, 06:20:42 AM »
Yes they are prone to breaking. So when you plan ahead, soaking is a good idea.
I didn't say you have to hit them hard, but you need the mass of the hammer to shock them loose. Easy does it, Germans call it "Fingerspitzen Gefuhl" (fingertip sensitivity).
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2011, 10:26:06 AM »
i was able to use a socket wrench on mine. 

managed to get the cylinders pretty much completely compressed but now i have a new problem -- the drums still don't fit. managed to get one on, but that one is worn to just barely outside acceptable specs...and it still rubs on the shoe.

i am now thinking e-brake tension is not allowing the shoes to get as close together as they need to be...thoughts?
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...
2150 swap...tf727/np229 swap...258 megabuild in the works...

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2011, 01:19:16 PM »
could be, did you put that ebrake bar that goes between the shoes back on right ??It lays across the top of the axle and is notched, fits in a slot in each shoe.......there should be a blow up picture I would think in the Eaglepedia?? Not sure.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2011, 02:14:00 PM »
Well , I really knew you were serious, but they are so prone to breaking, I would fear to hit them. I usually soak them with PB Blater for a couple of days ahead.I also will hit a phillips or a bolt straight on to " shock" it, with the driver or socket in place, it does work well, or even try to give it a jolt in the tightening direction to.Alot of the bikes I work on are from the early 20's to 30's , takes alot of patience to get some fastners out.I have trouble getting sockets/wrenches for the BSF applications. ( British fine thread).

I've some of those "Witworth" sockets in my box. Occasionally they work for worn bolts, but I've never used them on a British fastener.

Lots of good ideas for freeing the bleeders. You might as well replace them if they're hard to remove, they're cheap. I've pulled them out of cars and seen a little anti-seize on the threads too, but I don't know how it would affect brake fluid and parts.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:24 PM »
I found a picture of a typical AMC rear brake lay-out.
You can check wether you have all the parts in the right location.
http://www.marlinautoclub.com/marlin-guy/images/rear/image037.jpg

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2011, 04:48:52 PM »
everything is as it appears in that picture, except for where the e-brake bracket sits on the left side of the picture -- it is not nearly that close and i believe that to be the issue...any ideas how to remove that tension? i have tried the brake release switch in the car
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2011, 05:34:53 PM »
You can undo the e-brake from the balancer near the left rear wheel and work from there
(see if you can slide it in and out).
Last time I did the rear brakes I removed the rear e-brake cables completely and gave them a good lube job.

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2011, 06:19:40 PM »
I would just replace the cylinders while you got it apart. They are real cheap and can be a serious safety concern.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 06:35:47 PM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2011, 04:05:03 PM »
i think i will probably do that...

jurjen, what did you use to lube the cables?
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2011, 04:44:51 PM »
To get them going again, I used WD40 (you could probably use PB blaster).
Them I lubed them with a thin engine oil (5W40 or whatever you have in store).

Offline kajsdf

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 02:58:49 PM »
finding time to work on this is tough....got too much going on...kinda sad that a job that should be done in an afternoon has taken me over two weeks...

anyway the cables are frozen basically from the T plate where they attach to the pedal-cable to the wheel itself.  using the e pedal in the car i can tension them properly but upon releasing the pedal, the tension releases up front like it should but the cables do not 'spring' back where they should inside the wheel itself.

i replaced the cylinders as well so i know they are not a problem.

any ideas?

jurjen, eggs to you for your help so far...
1985 eagle wagon limited
now more limited...

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2011, 01:54:56 PM »
Thanks for the Eggs. Frozen E-brake cables are a common problem.
When the cables are frozen, it can be difficult to get them going again.
When time is on your side, you can remove them and hang them vertically and spray PB blaster (regularly) from the top. You then have to wait until it comes dripping from the bottom.
This may take a few hours, but may also take two weeks.
New cables are still available from Rockauto and cost about  $20 each.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk