News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 09:16:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Oil pressure too high?  (Read 12418 times)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
Re: Oil pressure too high?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2011, 10:42:07 PM »
I made
I think Tougeagle replaced his stock gauges with aftermarket....They look real nice....bright and easy to see too.

Didn't he mount them up in the little cubby hole above the radio on his non-A/C car?  If I fill my cubby with gauges, I'm going to need one of those floor consoles with a cubby hole - wonder where I could find one of those lol
I think Tougeagle replaced his stock gauges with aftermarket....They look real nice....bright and easy to see too.

Didn't he mount them up in the little cubby hole above the radio on his non-A/C car?  If I fill my cubby with gauges, I'm going to need one of those floor consoles with a cubby hole - wonder where I could find one of those lol

The facia plate that fits over the gauges is removable, my center console never had a cubby, I made it into one by simply removing the gauges and plate, and using that plate as a mounting medium for my gauges.

The oil temp gauge sending unit fits right in place of the 5/16" female pipe plug just above the oil filter and the oil pressure gauge unit fits where the old temp switch was located. I used copper line.

As a note, my oil is around 17 psi at idle and around 45-55 when driving, warm. Keep in mind that high oil pressure isn't necessarily a good thing. Higher pressure means less flow. When the engine is cold my oil pressure at idle is 70 psi, with 5w30 synthetic oil, because oil is thicker when cold and therefore flows slower..
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2011, 10:59:53 PM »

The facia plate that fits over the gauges is removable, my center console never had a cubby, I made it into one by simply removing the gauges and plate, and using that plate as a mounting medium for my gauges.

The oil temp gauge sending unit fits right in place of the 5/16" female pipe plug just above the oil filter and the oil pressure gauge unit fits where the old temp switch was located. I used copper line.

As a note, my oil is around 17 psi at idle and around 45-55 when driving, warm. Keep in mind that high oil pressure isn't necessarily a good thing. Higher pressure means less flow. When the engine is cold my oil pressure at idle is 70 psi, with 5w30 synthetic oil, because oil is thicker when cold and therefore flows slower..
[/quote]

Your point about the higher oil pressure not necessarily being a good thing is why I was concerned when mine spiked up - I was concerned that something got plugged and oil wasn't getting around inside the engine.  The mechanical gauge helped rule that out.

My statement about the cubby in the console was just giving Shane a hard time - I just sold him a console with cubby lol.

And I notice you have the hole in your dash where the passenger mirror adjuster used to be.  I replaced my mirror and was stuck with the same hole.  If you go to the hardware section in Lowe's (where the screws are) you'll find a black one inch plastic plug that fits perfectly in there.  Its in the drawers with automotive type parts, also near the desk plugs.  Looks great to fill in the hole.  I'm sure other hardware stores like Ace would also have them. Cost about $1 for 2 of them.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2011, 02:01:06 AM »
Ya know a set of digital gauges would be real sharp...Dakota digital makes a whole bunch of different and really cool guages...Somewhere, I dont remember where, if it was here or somewhere else on the net a guy did put a full digital set instrument cluster.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2011, 09:31:45 PM »

Your point about the higher oil pressure not necessarily being a good thing is why I was concerned when mine spiked up - I was concerned that something got plugged and oil wasn't getting around inside the engine.  The mechanical gauge helped rule that out.

My statement about the cubby in the console was just giving Shane a hard time - I just sold him a console with cubby lol.

And I notice you have the hole in your dash where the passenger mirror adjuster used to be.  I replaced my mirror and was stuck with the same hole.  If you go to the hardware section in Lowe's (where the screws are) you'll find a black one inch plastic plug that fits perfectly in there.  Its in the drawers with automotive type parts, also near the desk plugs.  Looks great to fill in the hole.  I'm sure other hardware stores like Ace would also have them. Cost about $1 for 2 of them.
[/quote]

I'm going to use an interlock cable from rocky mountain supply to put in that hole, to shift the transfer case from awd to 4 low as needed. One of these days though....

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2011, 11:44:14 PM »
My cubby has a guage in it!!!...it shows me how much change I have.... ;D
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2011, 01:10:35 AM »
My cubby has a guage in it!!!...it shows me how much change I have.... ;D
lol, nice

What's your 'sona?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk