News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 12:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hello from Vancouver  (Read 7379 times)

1988eagle

Re: Hello from Vancouver
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2011, 02:34:28 PM »
Update...

Took the bird through AirCare and told them that I don't believe the Canadian cars ever had Cats, although the label under the hood says mine did.  After some calls the manager told me that they started installing them on 1985 and newer model Eagles.  Bummer... automatic fail.  Took the test anyway to see where she stands and get three months insurance.  She did poorly, only passing on one or two of the tests.  They did however run it as a car and not a light truck as it is officially classified.

When I was camping a couple weeks ago I must have busted the exhaust hangers and she came out of the bush much louder than she went in to it.  A couple of days later the whole pipe was dangling  near the ground which I quickly remedied with some wire coat hangers.  I had the exhaust all fixed up yesterday and had them slap in a new Cat.

So now I'm thinking good tune up, plugs and wires, etc...  go through AirCare, this time make sure they run only the light truck tests, and with any luck...

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:03 PM »
My '86 doesn't have a cat, nor any evidence that it ever did.

Is there a sticker on your driver's door that says "catalyst"?
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2011, 07:25:29 PM »
My '86 doesn't have a cat, nor any evidence that it ever did.

Is there a sticker on your driver's door that says "catalyst"?
I'm just wondering, since yours appears to never have had a cat on it, does it still say "unleaded fuel only" on the dashboard?
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

1988eagle

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2011, 09:44:08 PM »
   There is no mention of catalyst on the door but under the hood just in front of the passenger seat there is a sticker that, along with tune up info, reads:
                                                                                 EMISSION CONTROL SYSTEM
                                                                                    FFB + EGR + P-AIR + CAT

Furthermore, under the gas cap are those little holes and junk that are, as one tester told me, indicative of a catalytic converter.  I called Bullshit, but he remained steadfast.  Mine does have a sticker that says UNLEADED FUEL ONLY.  It's next to the gas receptacle/filly bit under the licence plate.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk