News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 10:23:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Squeak from hatch area  (Read 3862 times)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Squeak from hatch area
« on: May 01, 2011, 03:18:57 PM »
A couple weeks ago, a squeak developed in my SX/4 in the hatch area.  It sounds like its coming from one of the hinges, and happens more when driving over rough road.  I tried tightening the hinge bolt, and it did tighten a little, but didn't fix the problem.

I noticed in the TSM, it mentions gaskets for the hinges, could these be shot causing the squeak?

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
Re: Squeak from hatch area
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2011, 04:57:33 PM »
A couple weeks ago, a squeak developed in my SX/4 in the hatch area.  It sounds like its coming from one of the hinges, and happens more when driving over rough road.  I tried tightening the hinge bolt, and it did tighten a little, but didn't fix the problem.

I noticed in the TSM, it mentions gaskets for the hinges, could these be shot causing the squeak?
When I put new shocks in my SX/4, the top of the shock was too long and would rub inside the body and cause squeaking.  I had to remove both of the shocks and cut off the top part of the shock a little bit and then reinstall.  And that got rid of the annoying squeak I was experiencing.  When you say it's worse on rough roads, maybe that's what is happening with your Eagle?  Did you recently replace the shocks? Otherwise maybe give this a try anyways...
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 05:17:38 PM »
A couple weeks ago, a squeak developed in my SX/4 in the hatch area.  It sounds like its coming from one of the hinges, and happens more when driving over rough road.  I tried tightening the hinge bolt, and it did tighten a little, but didn't fix the problem.

When I put new shocks in my SX/4, the top of the shock was too long and would rub inside the body and cause squeaking.  I had to remove both of the shocks and cut off the top part of the shock a little bit and then reinstall.  And that got rid of the annoying squeak I was experiencing.  When you say it's worse on rough roads, maybe that's what is happening with your Eagle?  Did you recently replace the shocks? Otherwise maybe give this a try anyways...

I haven't replaced the shocks, and it sounds like its coming right around the right hatch hinge, not under the car where a shock would be rubbing.

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 05:22:45 PM »
Huh...no idea.  Just thought I'd throw something out there for some kind of help.
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline El Matador

• AMC Freak
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • SubaWHO?
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2011, 01:44:58 PM »
It may actually be the latch mechanism.  My wagon tailgate was squeaking, so I wrapped some electrical tape around the little bar that the latch grabs on to.  No more squeak.

I didn't use much tape, just enough to go around the bar about twice and shim it up a bit.
1973 Matador 2 door
1979 Concord 2 door
1980 Concord 4 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1980 Eagle 2 door
1981 Eagle SX/4
1981 Eagle wagon
1982 Concord 2 door
1987 Eagle wagon

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2011, 09:42:06 PM »
I found the source of the squeak.  Its actually a little embarrassing  :-[.  It wasn't the hatch in any way, even though it sounded like it.  It ended up being one of the seat hinges or latch.  One day I put the seat down and the noise went away.  It wasnt just me that thought the noise was coming from the hatch hinge though, my roommate was sitting back there and said thats exactly where he thought it was coming from.  Also when he pushed up on the ceiling or hatch, the squeak went away.  We didn't realize that it was because he was putting extra pressure on the seat....  :banghead:

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2011, 09:49:13 PM »
LOL< bummmer, I was so excited because I was going to reply that answer !!! Mine squeaks also. I found out what it was the same way. I wrapped a couple of wraps of electrical tape around it, but eventually it wears through : ( . I think there are stoppers that can adjust to keep it tighter, similar to hood stop bumpers, but mine are missing.

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 12:26:52 AM »
i was reading this forum and I thought the same exact thing. But you would think I am crazy. It was my seat latches. So I put a vacuum cover over the metal, and put back in lock position and it was cured. It was driving me nuts, right? I'm glad I am not the only one it happened to.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 07:36:42 AM »
I must of used to thick a hose on mine, because I couldn't get the latch to go back over the stud, so I went with the tape........Like your idea, I will have to look for thinner hose as the tape only lasts about a few weeks.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk