News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 09:55:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stainless door handle  (Read 15700 times)

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
Re: stainless door handle
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2011, 01:59:20 PM »
Now THAT's the proper use of a CNC mill. Eggcelent! I'll be watching and waiting for you to be ready to sell some. I've been keeping broken handles waiting for the day someone does this kind of thing. What spring are you planning on using? The factory spring, or have you found a decent replacement?
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2011, 02:26:00 PM »
I love that grille badge.  it would be awesome if you could make some that have  www.amceaglenest.com across the bottom and allow them to be bolted on the stock grille kinda like what the Cadillac and Mercedes clubs do
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2011, 06:00:00 PM »
twoslow- you have us all drooling over these handles and badges!   An update would be great!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2011, 10:26:20 AM »
well work has just let up a little bit, I'm only working 6 days a week now. I've actually had off 2 sundays now! i have a fixture made up for the door handles and hope to have 10 sets made up by the end of Sept. or sooner. (hopfully sooner) right now the welding bay is full of cadaver tables. (we make fun stuff here) i am looking into having them laser engraved also. don't know what logo yet. as for the grill badge, i have a s.s. blank all ready to go into the CNC mill. it will be a little different than the original but i hope it turns out OK. will keep everyone updated on my progress. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2011, 11:09:23 PM »
(hopfully sooner) right now the welding bay is full of cadaver tables. (we make fun stuff here)
I worked for a company for many years that makes postmortem  equipment.  I ran the shop, and then made road trips all over the U S delivering and installing equipment.  Yes, fun stuff.  I often said that our equipment is so good, people were "dying to use it"!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
well an update, our new mechanical engineer who use to work in Lincoln, NE has a friend who does laser engraving. now i need to send him about 100 door handles as this brings the cost down. but my question for you guys (and gals) is what should i put on them? the eagle, the triad, AMC forever, or would you just want one design? also does anyone have any of them in PDF form? i will be ordering material for them next week, and when i figure out what design (or designs) you want on them i will get a quote on the engraving. i am also looking into getting some chrome plated to see how they look. let me know what you think. see you all on Tues. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline txjeeptx

• shop rag
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 68
  • You've been Outlaw'd
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2011, 12:12:33 AM »
For the restoration purist, do you think the engraver could duplicate the texture of the original handles? Might be too much area to cover. My vote is for the AMC symbol(triad?), that way they can be used on anything AMC.
'82 Eagle SX/4 "Golden Eagle", '89 YJ 2.5L '93 MPI-converted rock-crawler, '79 Jeep Cherokee Golden Eagle "FSJ", 'o7 F150 Supercrew FX/4 daily driver

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2011, 08:12:13 PM »
Any updates? Are you planning to replicate the entire thing, or just the piece shown to use in the old handle? This would be great, especially if you figured out a way to improve the rod and clips that go in there. My Eagle's too far gone to make all original anyway, and I'd rather have parts that don't break as often. Lookin' good!
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »
Any more on this?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 04:53:35 PM »
hello all! sorry i have been absent but with some family problems (nothing serious) but more noteworthy were the work issues. we had a MAJOR shakeup here at work, it seems that out of the 7 that worked there are only 2 left. not because of no work but because they were doing things they should not have been doing. but that's a story for another beer. the good news is that we were just able to do some personal work at the shop again. so i am glad to say that i have some door handles for sale.  :blob1: i will be selling them in pairs. (L.H.-R.H) for now, i only have 5 pairs to sell right now. the price is 60.00 per pair. this includes shipping and a lifetime warranty on the handle. (so if you sell your eagle and it breaks i fix or replace it, so don't sell your eagle) but the one thing i need from those that decide to get some is some brutally honest feedback. i.e.-how does it fit? does it need anything else to make it better? did it go together OK, how does it look installed etc. so if you are interested send me a shout, i do not take paypal, but i take checks, money order or chickens, maybe even some rabbits. :rotfl:   thanks LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 10:16:41 PM »
Any chance of a pic for the finished ones?

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »
i will try and get some pics of the handles today, all i have is my camera phone so i hope they will be ok. LAZ
i think maybe 8 chickens per pair would be good.  :rotfl:
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

rohnk

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 09:53:46 AM »
Not to be rude, but $60 for a pair seems a bit much, especially if your using your employers resources to make them. I would think that if you sold them for $30 a pair, that may be more palatable.

They look sturdy enough alright, but very plain. I would want to have them painted or powder coated for the price. I know they are stainless, but a flat piece of metal is just that, a flat piece of metal.

Anyway, good luck with these and thanks for taking a stab at making them! Never stop realizing your goals!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 11:28:14 AM »
i will try and get some pics of the handles today, all i have is my camera phone so i hope they will be ok. LAZ
i think maybe 8 chickens per pair would be good.  :rotfl:
live or frozen (I have noticed good deals on frozen whole chickens at sams club) ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »
i hope these help, the one on the left is the original.

well rohnk, it does seem a little high but let me explain. first i need to buy the material, (100.00=5pairs) then i need to cut all the parts up, machine the angle on the levers. drill 2 different size holes in them, machine the handles down to size, w/radius corners and champher the sides, then weld them together in a fixture. and check every one for fit in the door handle bases that i have, if they don't quite fit right or open all the way i need to make sure they do. and yes i use the equip. here at work but it costs me 20.00 per hr. it takes me about 45 min. to make each one,(7.5 hrs.machine time @20.00=150) not including final fitting which i do at home. and about 3-5 bucks for shipping. i make a grand total of about 35 dollar profit on all 5.  an no rohnk, you are not being rude just asking for more info. which i hope i just explained so you could understand, i hope i did sometimes my brain don't work right. :)  and remember i always will barter.  CHICKENS! or mabye some wabbit. have a good day. LAZ :rotfl:
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk