News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 08:40:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WE Want to know what kind of tires you use  (Read 27807 times)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: WE Want to know what kind of tires you use
« Reply #60 on: January 12, 2012, 11:38:38 PM »
Just put some studded Hankook 409 iPikes on.  205/70/15.   Now, where is all the snow?

Alaska has all the snow.  I flew down to Nashville for a managers conference and there is no snow in Nashville and none in St. Paul, MN when I caught my connection.  This made me decide we have it all in AK.  Just google Cordova Storm and see how much those guys got.

... and I am running Firestone Winterforce studded 235/75/15
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2012, 08:15:09 AM »
Just purchased 4qty Cooper 215/75R15's for Tootie and had them mounted on Weld racing wheels.  $409.87 mounted and ballanced.  This was from Big-O Tires.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »
They claim some is coming to Seattle soon. Hope to have my Eagle rolling by then. Wish I could afford to have a shop do the swap for me, but since I'm only part time it's a no-go situ.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2012, 12:00:40 PM »
Just installed General Altimax RT's (215/70-15 ) on mine with some 84 Cherokee Wheels. Need to trim the front flares some as the tires rub while backing and turning.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #64 on: January 16, 2012, 12:37:37 AM »
Figures I was sick all my days off last wek and NOW we have snow! Oh well! Tomorrow is my friday at least!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2012, 04:10:04 PM »

HI   This winter is great no snow .I love it.  I had to buy a new set of tires and I got the ones on sale from...

JAPAN    Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline JSK

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • ...one day at a time...
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2012, 10:37:00 PM »
I went with Firestone Destination A/T's after comparing the user-ratings on TireRack  -- they seemed to have excellent reviews (with HUNDREDS of thousands of miles worth of reviews) and the price was really good (relative to Pirelli Scorpion ATR's which got the #1 rating). I also liked the look of the tread - for what THAT'S worth, and the outlined white letters look decent. I usually get great results from Firestones, so I bit the bullet...

I bought them over four years ago and I still hardly see any wear on them!   ...of course, that might be because I've only driven the car 12 miles in four years...    sigh   
Jerry Kane
Saint Louis, Missouri
1981 SX/4 Sport Dk Grey/black, 6cyl-4spd with a/c and LOUVERS!

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2012, 11:20:58 PM »
Don't know if I really count, since it's not stock height anymore. ;D Currently running Nankang Mudstar M/Ts, 31/10.5-15. GREAT in muddy terrain, especially at 15-20psi, but slush/snow/ice? Forget it :o When I get to the point I need new shoes, I'll likely go with a set of good A/Ts, something with a fairly aggressive tread. Don't get much snow here in the "tropics", so one set will do me just fine for year-round. :)

I have the Bridgestone Dueler Revo 2 ATs on my SuperDuty and they do awesome on the ice and in the snow.  I am impressed with their winter performance for an AT.  They are a little spendy... but the super duty takes 265/75/16 12 plys.  I'm sure eagle size is less. 

You see proof I use them in the snow/ice :)
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #68 on: February 10, 2012, 12:36:05 AM »
Not on my Eagle, but my Comanche has 33/9.50/15s from Big O (not made anymore unfortunately)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2012, 01:34:53 AM »
Man, all these cool gnarly tires and im running a set of old dakota A/T with the balogna skin inspired tread.  :rotfl:
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #70 on: August 06, 2012, 10:43:44 AM »
I use Firestone Winterforce snow tires.  They are studdable; however, I do drive the car occasionally in the summer, but not enough to justify two sets of tires. Studs are miserable on dry pavement....plus they are only legal in Ohio Nov through March. These are pretty good, cheap snow tires. I have had them on a few Town Cars/Grand Marquis's I've had and have always worked great.  Keep in mind though, snow tires SUCK in the summer, and now that I am realizing that I drive the thing more in the summer than I thought I would (because I like the :censored: thing so much), I wish I would have ponied up for All Terrain tires instead.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #71 on: August 07, 2012, 02:08:21 PM »
215/75/R15 BFG AT's
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #72 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:55 PM »

HI ....back in 2-8-2012 I bought a set of japan tires ...now here in 2-15-2014 I had to get another set of japan rubber .....I hope this set last as long as the last set .........This has ben so informative about the type of tires that people use and the thinking behind there purchase ...and now I want to know MORE ....don   
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #73 on: February 19, 2014, 04:21:50 PM »

235/75/15s

Pic is right after swapping the 8.25 XJ axle and an extra leaf.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk