News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 05, 2024, 01:15:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ginger the 83 wagon  (Read 77167 times)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
Re: Ginger the 83 wagon
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2011, 11:14:10 PM »
The 4.0 cam does not, I believe, have a fuel pump lobe so you will also need an electric fuel pump and a block off plate if you go that route.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2011, 12:18:38 AM »
The 4.0 cam does not, I believe, have a fuel pump lobe so you will also need an electric fuel pump and a block off plate if you go that route.
Ahh, that's right, thanks IE, totally forgot about that part :P

A decent 40 gph electric 7-12 psi pump can be had from Ebay for pretty darn cheap, same with a small block chevy block off plate/gasket.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2011, 12:27:33 AM »
I learned that rod cap thing the hard way on a little junk yard datsun I rebuilt...spent all summer on that rusty old z car.....I had that engine tore down to the block like 3 times...It was my first car project...Im by no means a master mechanic so ANY input or suggestions are highly appreciated!!! This is my 6th eagle but the first one I have tore into...Im finding AMC put their own twist on alot of stuff.!

Thanks for lookin out...I am so lucky to have so many seasoned Eagle vets in one spot to keep a watchful eye on my project!! ;D I know I have avoided several big mistakes thanks to info from fellow nesters!!

Thank you all ;D
Shane
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2011, 12:41:22 AM »
I am so doing the conversion!!! Id be a fool not to at this point. I know its a bit early in the project to think about this..but do you think the stock tranny will handle the extra power or should I start looking at an upgrade to a stouter more capable tranny....Id love an O/D!!

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2011, 12:57:56 AM »
Ok.. the oil pan is off! Ginger is a dirty girl!...lots of sledge in the pan and inside the block. Its definatly going to the hot tank!! If Im gonna sink this kind of time and money into this car im gonna start with a clean slate...or should I say clean block!! The oil pan has a pretty good dent in the bottom..she ran over somthing big..Ive seen worse but I really dont like the looks of it.

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2011, 01:54:18 AM »
Honestly, there really isn't much sludge there, ;) it's just stained. Probably went a grand or two over on an oil change, definitely not terrible though, by any means. You should see what a GM v6 that has suffered lower intake gasket leaks (thanks to dexcool) looks like.... the oil itself looks like an orange dreamsicle, and there is black, thick stick  grime caked on everything...

Definitely consider going to a 4.0 cam if it's not too late, you'll thank yourself later. The lobes are twice the size of that puny 258 cam, and it's an extremely cheap upgrade. You (except for one cam) won't find a better aftermarket grind, they're all made to produce low end torque, not streetable midrange and high end power. An electric fuel pump for a carb application is very cheap, along with the easy to find SBC blockoff plate, since the 4.0 cam doesn't have a fuel pump lobe

A BG MOA treatment, along with a few other detergents, will clean all of that stuff out of the block...

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2011, 02:26:33 AM »
I havent gotten anything as of yet...Im still in the tear down/clean up stage...im also ivestigating as to weather the stock tranny will handle the increase in power. Ill probably pick up the cam in the next few weeks...then I need to scrounge up a mid 90's jeep to ravage!! This is not going to be a quick process...mostly due to financial restrictions...but Im gonna get that ball rollin on the conversion.

By the way...did yours have the 7/16 head bolts?

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2011, 12:16:02 PM »
I havent gotten anything as of yet...Im still in the tear down/clean up stage...im also ivestigating as to weather the stock tranny will handle the increase in power. Ill probably pick up the cam in the next few weeks...then I need to scrounge up a mid 90's jeep to ravage!! This is not going to be a quick process...mostly due to financial restrictions...but Im gonna get that ball rollin on the conversion.

By the way...did yours have the 7/16 head bolts?

Yeah it does. I didn't even use the head spacers this last time, they're just for getting the gasket straight. Are you planning on a 4.0 head/efi conversion?

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2011, 10:54:56 PM »
Absolutly!! I definatly want to do it...And now is the optimal time to do it while the whole drive trains out. Ill be getting the 4.0 cam next check..then its off to the junkyard to find intake/exhaust manifold and the 4.0 heads...as well as the computer.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:24 AM »
Honestly, there really isn't much sludge there, ;) it's just stained. Probably went a grand or two over on an oil change, definitely not terrible though, by any means. You should see what a GM v6 that has suffered lower intake gasket leaks (thanks to dexcool) looks like.... the oil itself looks like an orange dreamsicle, and there is black, thick stick  grime caked on everything...

Definitely consider going to a 4.0 cam if it's not too late, you'll thank yourself later. The lobes are twice the size of that puny 258 cam, and it's an extremely cheap upgrade. You (except for one cam) won't find a better aftermarket grind, they're all made to produce low end torque, not streetable midrange and high end power. An electric fuel pump for a carb application is very cheap, along with the easy to find SBC blockoff plate, since the 4.0 cam doesn't have a fuel pump lobe

Touge - are you saying that the 4.0 cam and parts can go right into a 258 ?? I am sorry as to not catching this somewheres else, I am sure you have covered it before : )

A BG MOA treatment, along with a few other detergents, will clean all of that stuff out of the block...

Offline tougeagle

• Thumbs Up 75
« Reply #100 on: March 23, 2011, 03:18:27 AM »

Touge - are you saying that the 4.0 cam and parts can go right into a 258 ?? I am sorry as to not catching this somewheres else, I am sure you have covered it before : )

The 4.0 cam is mentioned in my swap, but I (kicks self) never took pics of the cams side by side or of the install of the cam itself. Yes, the 4.0 (use a 1992 if possible, best grind) cam has its cam gear key in exactly the same location (so there is no need to degree the cam) as the 258 cam, and slides right into the block. They use the same bolt, and same size gear. Though, you most definitely need to upgrade your timing set, to a roller set at least. MAKE SURE you also grab the pushrods and lifters from the same engine you grabbed the cam from, and keep them all in order according to cylinder. The rockers don't matter, they're interchangeable between the 258, 4.0 and AMC V8s. Your engine will pull hard to redline with that cam, as it is ground to make max horsepower at 5000 rpm (redline is 5250) vs 2800 with the 258 cam, which makes it very fun to wrap out, because it doesn't peter out at all.

As stated in a previous post though, you should go for a new cam, lifters and pushrods, from autozone, they carry 4.0 stock cams new. If you can't get a new one, pull one from a junkyard vehicle with a clean looking engine (pull valve cover, head etc...) and inspect the lobes for signs of strange or uneven wear.

What's your 'sona?

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #101 on: March 23, 2011, 03:33:42 AM »
Im getting pretty exited about starting this project!!! I was also meaning to ask you too...What computer components to I need to grab...and were are they located on the Jeep. Im fixin on getting this project rollin soon!!

Thanx
shane

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #102 on: March 23, 2011, 06:53:49 AM »

HI    Shane   there are two things you haven't talked about .Cam bearings they need to come out before hot tank..and valve springs .I learned the hard way in our race motor we lost a half a secant and my son sad it was the springs i sad o bull so that week we pulled the heads and had the springs tested . they were bad .we put new ones in and the next Saturday  at marten race way we picked the time +  we did our best with that car 11:90 flat you get the point          Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #103 on: March 23, 2011, 07:33:40 AM »
Thanks Touge. I would definetly be going new with all the parts if I am rebuilding the motor. I still have to figure out what it is that is sitting strapped to the dolly I got from Smitty with the Money Pit II. It looks like a new head , an old block, and all of the fuel injection stuff in one big pile bungied to it.........after getting the tranny back in and the car running I now see some moisture in the oil , on the dip stick.......and a slight, very slight knocking....ran sea foam in it last night and changing the oil and filter out again today , and go from there.

sorry bout hyjacking your thread Shanebo !

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #104 on: March 23, 2011, 12:21:48 PM »
No worries 68amxgopac!! ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk