News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 03:07:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Ongoing Stuff  (Read 27910 times)

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Re: Ongoing Stuff
« Reply #60 on: November 29, 2010, 05:39:36 PM »
i took a look at alldata at work today, it has better diagrams. I think I may have cut a red wire from the ignition switch. The red wire is the run wire. like I said it "runs" while being cranked, but instantly dies as soon as I stop cranking. So, I will have a look tonight to see if that is the case.
1984 Eagle DL-30 Sedan 258 Auto w/2.35's. -Work in progress, Mom's car?
1990 Chevy Blazer 4x4 full size with a dinky 350. -Daily Driver.

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed. -Buddha

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #61 on: November 29, 2010, 07:14:13 PM »
Nope, not that one... But a yellow one and a messed up gray one to the regulator on the fender. So with that knowledge, I will get my light back that I loaned out, and solder tomorrow.

The whole secret of existence is to have no fear. Never fear what will become of you, depend on no one. Only the moment you reject all help are you freed. -Buddha

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #62 on: November 29, 2010, 10:01:57 PM »
The original Eagle wiring to the ignition system was through a (I believe) a 5-ohm resistor wire. The starter solenoid bypasses the resistor wire and sends battery voltage straight to the ignition. My resistor wire failed early on...I replaced it with an ignition resistor from a 1955 Ford and wired it straight from the ignition wire coming from the ignition switch. Your description of the problem (it starts when the starter is engaged and quits when you let go of the key) fits in with ignition resistor wire failure. If it tries to start with the starter engaged the dizzy is not out 180 degrees.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline dunthatb4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2010, 12:11:03 AM »
Simple to test for, run a jumper wire from the battery to the + side of the coil, then start it.  If this simple wire makes it run, then you got a wire sut out of your ignition, just replace it.  I'm scared of wires, but I keep a jumper wire around with two alligator clips, just for this sort of thing.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
hmmmm, if it gets "fire" in the carb when your trying to start it, I would think a intake valve is open when it fires in the cylinder?? and or too much gas is residing in the intake?? If everything is correct I can't see getting a spark to ignite a fire in the carb if the valves are opening and closing as they should be. Jusy my opinion..........I have allways had to"prime" my wagon if it sits for more than 3-4 weeks , but never had a backfire/carb fire going on.

Offline dunthatb4

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2010, 01:44:45 PM »
A flat camshaft or being out of time will cause backfiring thru the carb.

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #66 on: December 12, 2010, 03:02:18 AM »
It runs. Replaces the starter solenoid, and found a loose wire on it (the bottom one). Now need to set the timing and idle.. I wonder if I can borrow a light from someone... I don't have the $40 for one. I have a dwell meter but have no clue where the timing light ended up. Maybe one of those wierd thing you lose when you move 1260 miles in a 86 toyota mr2 and no truck...

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #67 on: December 12, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
wow, you moved in an MR2 your lucky you remembered yourself ;D man, those cars are small
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #68 on: December 12, 2010, 11:48:08 PM »
I know. I had a 10" kicker CVR in an enclosure in the front trunk, and my dog sitting on blankets and my pillow in the passenger seat.

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #69 on: December 18, 2010, 02:58:56 PM »
Thermostat housing gasket changed again today. Who knows? Maybe I will get the timing and idle set tomorrow.

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #70 on: December 19, 2010, 06:02:43 PM »
I picked up a actron CP7527 timing light for $45 at Advance Auto in between pick ups.

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #71 on: December 20, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
When I dropped the timing light off at my house, I noticed a leak... Smells like antifreeze. I thought I heard a crack when I was putting the thermostat housing back on the other day, but I didn't see one.. I am guessing there is a hairline fracture there. Advance Auto can order me one for like $12, So I will have to stop there.

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #72 on: December 20, 2010, 06:16:46 AM »
Yep, those housings sure like cracking.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #73 on: January 27, 2011, 11:35:50 PM »
Update: sadly nothing to report except the housing was replaced. I have had 1 day off since I got my license back in mid November. I put a request in and was denied.  Plan on going back to alabama in 6 weeks and leaving my mother the running eagle (If she ever decides to renew her license that expired 1.5 years ago).
If she does not, the car will be for sale. I don't want it to go to somebody that doesn't really care, but it may end up neglected

Offline Nate Tidwell

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #74 on: March 12, 2011, 05:38:46 AM »
The Eagle will be moving to mineralwells wv, with my sister who is need of a car. I am moving to Gordon, Al

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk