News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:06:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: project desert Eagle  (Read 43876 times)

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: project desert Eagle
« Reply #60 on: May 03, 2010, 09:09:57 PM »
Ordered the parts I needed today. will be here tuesday/ wednesday depending on were the are coming from. total was $177 and some change. definately spent alot LESS than I as intending, which is always good. I know im looking a lil far ahead but I think the next thing after the engine is either going to be suspension or weather seals. Obviously both will be expensive. suspension more than weather seals. But if I do weather seals next I dont know how to do those nor do I really want to do them mysel. im not a body guy lol. they are both important.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

1986 Chevy 1 Ton non-dually regular cab-I miss that old truck :(.

1985 AMC Eagle Wagon- My new daily driver that has started an AMC obsession

" It's an AMC thing... normal people wouldn't understand"

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
« Reply #61 on: May 03, 2010, 09:23:27 PM »
weather seals are easy... they're like legos... they snap right in man.

Do them first. Cheaper and easier and your suspension isn't going to rot out your door jams.... get the seals done first. :)
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2010, 01:16:59 PM »
yea the seals is wht im going to do frst then. Im in need of a rear hatch seal desprately. I think one day im going to go get in my car and ducks are going to be swimming on the cargo cover. I think i can get everything as far as seals, but I dont know where. i had sent a email once but have since lost it to a guy that has the seals.
1997 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme SL- Old Daily driver now has a new transmission and will become a daily driver again once I start on my eagle.

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2010, 06:39:29 PM »
Have you checked the Whitney book for something comparable? If its listed for any hatchback it should work but you can match up the shape for something close

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
Have you checked the Whitney book for something comparable? If its listed for any hatchback it should work but you can match up the shape for something close
Thats what im looking at right now. Im thinking a concorde wagon from the 70's would be similar if not a hornet. I would get the seals for the newest one possible.

I got ALL the parts for the new engine this afternoon. It was like christamas all over again  ;D

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2010, 10:58:02 PM »
Congrats man! You can buy rolls of universal seals really cheap at auto stores. They have an adhesive on the back and they work really well. Just a thought!

We still on for this weekend?
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #66 on: May 05, 2010, 04:05:23 AM »
Yea as far as I know this weekend is still good. I got friday off. Besides the parts wht else should I bring ? I got 2 OEM manuals plus an original chilton from the 80's for AMC Eagle's.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #67 on: May 06, 2010, 03:33:58 AM »
Im sure you will think of this when you buy ther oil like we talked about in texts on the phone... but get an oil filter and fuel filter too. They're cheap. And air filter.
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #68 on: May 06, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
ok Ill get those today. Im Going to my current teachers s performance shop today so ill probably go frm there to get some oil and stuff. BTW the carb thts on the new engine probably uses the round air filter right? The webber I have on there needs a rebuild andbecause of tht the airfilter is bad but I cant find a new one for it ANYWHERE. So i just anted to put a stock one back on.

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #69 on: May 06, 2010, 11:28:40 PM »
Yup it's stock.

And you may be very happy because you may get to take alot of that stuff back... AND you may get my best engine out here. Of course, you'll owe me the tiny price of YOUR SOUL, but regardless... you will be extatic. It's all going to boil down to time. But... I'm about to paint my wagon and I want to pull the engine out of it to paint the engine well... if I pull the current engine, I'll install my stroker... and the engine that's in it now is the best I6 I have ever driven. I swear dude. It idles a little high, but she purrs like a kitten! I'm still contemplating if we'd have the time to pull that one and put it in yours... but it's a sure fire way to KNOW you get a GREAT engine. I'd really like to keep my 80' engine for my next stroker build and the one I pulled out of the Millenium Eagle worries me. I mean, I'm 90% sure it just needs a timing chain... and it ran fantastic... but I'd hate for that small chance of us installing it and it not firing up.

However... my brother and I think we can start the engine on the big engine stand... if so, then we'll try that if you want. Whatever. We have options when you get here.
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2010, 05:32:17 AM »
Awsome tht its stock man! Just let me know man. Im going to bed. Ill call u 2maro.

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2010, 02:16:37 AM »
new engine has been in for 2 weeks now. runs great. there is a LONG story behind it. there is also alot of dont do's. and do this things. I have limited acess to computer so I dont really have time right now to do a big write up but will do as soon as I get the chance. Also a BIG thanks to MAV and his Brotherfor everything!! you guys rule!!

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2010, 02:11:19 PM »
LOL yeah.... LONG story... trying to forget as much of it as I can, LMAO! Still haven't posted a write up on it... haven't been on much myself since it's been so nice out. Just been working on the ENS and the house.
The AMC Eagle

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2010, 01:32:57 AM »
Yea I'm trying to forget it myself lol. BTW the final I had the next week. I ACED it lol. but any way yea Im going to try to do a write mabe tomoroww. I can say right now top of the list of don't do's is DO NOT HAVE A DATE SET TO HAVE IT DONE BY WHEN REPLACEING AN ENGINE!!!!!!!!!! have something else to drive and a back up plan in order because YOU WILL have unexpected things happen, you will become angry at your eagle( for a short time), and you become stressed lol. so take my advice if you think it may be a weekend project, so say 3-4 days at most. plan for at least a week or more. and also know your torque specs on stuff( Mav I know your going to make fun of me on the torque spec thing lol) and take note of vacuum line routing carb linkages, TRANSMISSION LINKAGE.and also replace as many parts as you can while the engine is out. it will save you the headache later. ok Im rambling. Mav I think you have the pics right? could you upload some of them mabe if you get the chance please?

Offline truckboy13

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #74 on: June 07, 2010, 12:43:50 AM »
Alright well I still havent had time to do a full write up and like I said before probably wont for a little while. Im in the process of fixing up my Eagle and my Olds Cutlass so I have little time to do that right now. well I do have some bad news about my wagon, it appears that it may have a bad front main seal as from where its leaking and getting on the belts thats what it appears to be so I need to get that fixed. but any way some good  news. Im putting in a new half-shaft on Tuesday and am going to order a new trans mount as this one is bad again because it swelled  from all of the oil getting on it. the valve cover does not leak any more. Theres always something to fix and luckily my Eagle has taught me an important skill... patience.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk