News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 05, 2024, 04:15:35 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Priya's SX/4 project  (Read 341619 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: Priya's SX/4 project
« Reply #225 on: September 08, 2010, 11:51:45 PM »
Thanks Rollguy.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #226 on: September 09, 2010, 12:15:10 AM »
WOW , that is awesome.Those hatch lip patch pieces are perfect,great work.Was that piece of equipment reasonably priced?
   EGG2U

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #227 on: September 09, 2010, 07:25:40 AM »
Awesom priya! So by next spring you'll be ready to run it?
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #228 on: September 09, 2010, 08:53:47 AM »
WOW , that is awesome.Those hatch lip patch pieces are perfect,great work.Was that piece of equipment reasonably priced?
   EGG2U

We were talking about it the other day.  I recall us paying around $250 but my husband remembers us paying $300.  Ward was giving me the gears about it because I thought all the Eagle rust repairs were done, I didn't see a need for it and was reluctant to buy it.  I didn't expect it to come in handy so soon.

Awesom priya! So by next spring you'll be ready to run it?

Yes, we should easily be ready to run it by next spring.  My husband is taking 2 weeks off in the middle of September and we're going to put the mechanicals in and by we I mean mostly him.  The plan is to have it ready to drive by the time the snow flies because I'll be taking my Corvette off the road then and have nothing to drive.  The interior needs a lot of work so I'll probably be driving it with a lot of the interior missing/half finished.

Doug, 68AMXGOPAC, and shaggimo, thanks for the encouragement.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 09:17:36 AM by priya »

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #229 on: September 09, 2010, 10:26:42 AM »
That is too cool!  I can't wait to see it in paint!!
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #230 on: September 12, 2010, 06:59:29 PM »
We got some of the painting done on Thursday and Friday night.  Thursday night a grey high build primer went on and a dusting of red for a guide coat which will show low spots on the body work as its sanded off.

Then the doors, hood, hatch, and fenders came off  and Friday night we sprayed the underside of the hood, the hatch and door jambs, the sides of the doors and engine compartment.  It was a very long night, we were there until midnight and the painter still had an hours drive home that night!  And all this after the painter and hubby had already worked an 8 hour day.  I was beat and I didn't start until 5:00 that afternoon, I just can't imagine doing what they did.  Here's some of the results:

We put the hood, fenders, doors, and hatch on this morning and here's how the engine compartment looked.  For some reason the pictures kept wanting to come out blue, but its a really bright purple:

I thought we were going to be painting the whole car Saturday but it takes a lot longer than I realized and Ward and John the painter had actually planned to do this over a one week period and finish spraying the majority of the car next Saturday.  After that paint dries we still will have to go back and paint the door window frames and roof drip rail blue as it was too complicated to do this all at once.  Between now and then I'll be sanding down the high build primer to hopefully remove all the imperfections in the preperation work I had done previously.  The quarter panels, doors, roof, and sides of the fenders had a few spots that weren't so good, the hood and tops of the fenders have a lot of things that never came out too well but hopefully a careful sanding of the high build primer will get most or all of those.  The hood had all manner of little dings and I filled them seperately and most of them showed up as uneven layers in the primer.  I was going to put body fill over the entire power bulge of the hood and sand that down as one like I did with the doors and in retrospect that's what I should have done as the doors came out very straight despite having quite a share of dings and waves themselves.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 10:06:38 AM by priya »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #231 on: September 12, 2010, 07:23:14 PM »
Looking good, so far!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #232 on: September 12, 2010, 07:42:04 PM »
Sweet

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #233 on: September 12, 2010, 08:48:38 PM »
WOW! that is a beautiful color and an excellent job your doing on it ..... good luck on the rest of the project
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #234 on: September 12, 2010, 08:55:15 PM »
Looks like a great purple to me. EGGselent job.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #235 on: September 12, 2010, 09:37:16 PM »
Thanks everyone!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #236 on: September 12, 2010, 09:45:27 PM »
My question is are you using that new waterborne paint on yours or are you doing it old school (The shop i work at just converted to that stupid waterborne)
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #237 on: September 12, 2010, 10:37:47 PM »
Yes, its a water based paint and its a pain in the butt.  When I told the painter I wanted the door window frames and the roof drip rail painted blue he got upset and said no way, that's too much work, I won't do it.  We asked the shop if they'd do it for money and they said with waterborne paints its a logistics nightmare and they want no part of it. We eventually got the painter to agree to paint those areas purple and then after the clearcoat is dry if I go back and mask and scuff those areas he'll paint it with a regular paint which probably won't be quite as shiny and may be a slightly different shade but at least I'll get it all the colour I want.  Apparently even with that its going to be a very long day Saturday to paint the exterior purple, the lower body blue and put two blue racing stripes acroos the hood and roof.  The purple is sprayed first, then after 3 hours the blue is painted roughly where its going to go and then 3 hours later we mask off the blue we want to remain blue, the car is repainted purple again, the tape comes off some time later and then a number of layers of clear go on.  I was told that back in the old days it was much easier to paint a car the way the sport model Eagles were done but nowadays you never see cars with those sort of multi-partition colour schemes, they're almost all one colour or at most a two tone with the lower body one colour and the upper a different one.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2010, 10:46:05 PM by priya »

Offline Pat

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 56
« Reply #238 on: September 12, 2010, 10:40:29 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work. Never knew it took that much to paint a car.
1995 Jeep Cherokee "Bleep"

No pic here - BlackBird - My '86 AMC Eagle wagon

R.I.P Old Rusty - My '91 F150

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #239 on: September 12, 2010, 11:25:50 PM »
Sounds like a lot of work. Never knew it took that much to paint a car.

It usually doesnt take that long but this car is being done the right way all around. The results should be amazing.
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk