News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 12:10:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Just bought my first Eagle project  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Just bought my first Eagle project
« on: July 12, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »
Hello all Eagle fans.. Brad here.. From the great state of Oregon...

I just drove an 18 hour round trip to get my first Eagle.. The gas cost more than the car did.. But hey it is saved right???
It is an Early 81 SX/4 sport.. Automatic..   pictures are here
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45241.0

I had to edit this because I was so excited to get it I didn't even pop the hood.. Somehow I thought it was the 4 cyl... but I popped the hood on it this morning and it grew 2 cylinders in the drive home.... lol...

I have some questions that I need OPINIONS on...
So it is going to be my winter daily driver.. I drive 22 miles one way to work and its 90% freeway at like 65-70... besides that, it will probably see a bit of off road adventure time but not a lot... So here goes the opinion questions:

Drivetrain..
I know there are really 3 different ones.. I have the full time.. there is the shift while stopped and the shift on the fly... What is the opinions on all of these??
I havent decided if I want a manual or keep it automatic yet.. manuals are fun, but it is kinda nice just to throw it in drive and go too...

Ok there it is... opinion away.. I want to hear it all so that I can get a good idea of what I want to do with it..

Thanks
Brad
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:56:40 PM by Just4u2c »
79 AMX 401 5speed
81 SX/4 still a project/winter driver
83 Spirit GT.... Still up in the air with what to do with it

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Just bought my first Eagle project
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2015, 02:50:33 PM »
I'm glad everything worked out for you.  My 81 was fulltime and my 86 was shift on the fly. I really didn't notice much difference between the two in dry conditions. The difference between stop and shift and shift on the fly is with the front differential. With stop and shift, there is a disconnect on the front axle. They did this to try to squeeze out  a little more mpg, but got rid of it with shift on the fly. The only reason I would consider changing out your transfer case is if the NP119, what you have now, goes bad or you want to add a low range case for off road. Anything you do to make it more "off road" friendly like bigger more aggressive tires, lift, etc. will effect your mpg.
As far as auto vs manual, that's a personal choice. My 81 was a 4 speed and my 86 an auto. The manual Eagle felt quite a bit "peppier" but they both got about the same MPG. I bought my 81 to be my "winter beater" and it changed me forever. It wound up being my daily driver and I sold my Mustang that I owned for over 20 years and thought I would never get rid of and haven't regretted it.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2015, 08:25:07 PM »
The difference between full time and shift on the fly is a slight fuel economy improvement and different "feel" in 2wd vs Awd. The stop to shift was so problematic that the Big 3 and AMC only tried it a couple years with a high failure rate because average Joe doesn't know to check the lines, lube the vacuum motors, etc etc.

A cable operated front axle is much better than the vacuum rubbish. I'm not uber thrilled with the viscous coupler tcases either. They are fine for "cars" and on-road vehicles but don't care for serious off-roading. NV242 is better and apparently there is a version that has a torsen differential in it (NV247?) aka Quadratrac II that is in the later model Grand Cherokees (it may be a bit much to $wap in).

Upgrading to fuel injection with an AW4 and NV242 was what I want to do with my wagon, bu only going to happen when I sell my Comanche. Otherwise the NP219 I have will go in and I have someone with $400 to buy the low mileage NP229 that is in it. It'll still keep the 727 as it shifts so nice (when the trans dipstick tube isn't leaking of course!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2015, 09:06:52 AM »
You didn't say where in Oregon you are but if your interested in a manual transmission now is the time. there is an 84' sport wagon at picknpull south off foster rd. has a T5 in it also has the factory tach and there were some marchal fog lights laying around the car maybe salvageable, and has the serpentine belt set, up but non AC car. If you do go with the manual transmission I grabbed the console with gauges out of it I would give you first dibs on

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2015, 09:37:53 AM »
Update your spark plugs and ignition system for a nice boost in MPG. That's my first update to these old birds, works great every time :)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2015, 02:49:30 PM »
If you see' basics' that need to be replaced, fan belts, ball joints,egr, buy on rock auto. Com you will get a code from the forum here, just do a search. After you order they seemed you codes for 5% discount. I've gotten brake pads, wipers, etc. Saves you big$$$. Good luck
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2015, 05:07:32 PM »
Welcome to the forum and congrats!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2015, 01:13:28 AM »
So an update... didn't get to do much to it besides wash it and push it into the shop yesterday..
I went to pull the gas tank to drain the 5 year old fuel.. looked inside tank and it was nearly empty so I added 4 gallons in it.. Charged the battery... at first I had to jump across the starter solenoid cause the ignition wouldn't work.. poured a bit of fuel down the carb and cranked it over... took about 4 times of firing and dying before it just ran and stayed running.. It scared me a bit at first as I heard some engine knocking like bottom end.. But it cleared up...
tried the gears... they engaged... So I just up and drove off.... Amazing after 5 years... ran it up and down the road a bit until I noticed the coolant gauge not getting warm... so I parked it... now just to get some tires and get a few little things working and try a longer trip...

I think I am going to stay with the full time for a while.. And I kinda like the thought of an Automatic in the snow....

Oh and It's Central Oregon.. Redmond to be exact.... 

79 AMX 401 5speed

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2015, 03:18:05 AM »
hi is this your first Eagle? for a start, just get the thing running and working and earning it's keep. A lot of people will tell you to modify this, and change that, and get new gears, and new transfer cases and upgraded transmissions and do a 4.0 head swap, and..and..and.. DO NONE of the above, until you fully understand your car, how it runs, and what it needs. A base, factory, Eagle, was heads and tails above anything being built at the time. Just fix and understand what you already have, before you try to re engineer it!  Walk before you Run! good luck gz

Offline Just4u2c

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2015, 02:37:11 AM »
my first eagle yes... first project car.. hardly... I bought and drug home a 83 spirit GT today.... gonna rob a few things off and get some tires and get the SX/4 on its first trip outside the neighborhood and see how she does....
79 AMX 401 5speed

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk