News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 08:02:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fender flare material  (Read 3319 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Fender flare material
« on: August 29, 2015, 01:12:38 AM »
I was showing off my Eagle to a stranger the other day, and he made the comment (I'm paraphrasing here) "I wonder what those flares are made of?  It's amazing that they're still in such good condition; most plastics would be brittle and falling apart by now".

When I think about it, that's a pretty good question.  It is amazing that those things are still strong and flexible (and look pretty much brand new) after 30 years in the sun and weather.

Does anyone know what those puppies are made of?

Just idle curiosity,
JB
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 01:14:58 AM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Fender flare material
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2015, 07:54:23 AM »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2015, 03:02:09 PM »
Thanks, eaglefreek.

Even the name is bad*ss... 'Kraton' sounds like an evil alien warlord  bent on conquering Earth. (As opposed to his much nicer little sister, Krayon).

Followed your link to some other sites and read some interesting history of the stuff.  It started out in the US government's 'synthetic rubber' program during WWII, when the war effort was consuming way more real rubber than we could get our hands on.  It was eventually privatized and developed further by the company Kraton Polymers.  The product was actually named after Kratos, Greek god of Strength and brother to Nike.  It's still considered a relatively hi-tech substance, 70 years later.

For anyone else interested, here's a link to the history on the company's web site: http://www.kraton.com/about/history.php.  They have a mention of the AMC Eagle.

JB
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 03:03:34 PM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 08:28:06 PM »
Yet more proof Eagles were ahead of their time!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2015, 10:52:35 PM »
it's only a matter of time...one day...Eagles will rule the universe......until then.... keep a watchful eye on the sky......you never know, when an Eagle will pop up on your local Craigslist or newspaper...be prepared to act......it's still not too late!  gz

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »
Last night I was talking to a guy at a cruise-in about the rear-end caps deteriorating and he mentioned that they may have used a material consisting of soybean oil?  He said he had the same problem with plastics on his early 80's something-or-other.  Any merit to that?  I know they switched to something else, as the later models don't seem to have deteriorating plastics.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 05:23:09 PM »
The material wasn't made UV proof because either they didn't know, didn't care (who keeps cars 30+ years? ;) ) or it was planned obsolescence.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:57:31 PM »
It does seem the earlier end caps become brittle while the "newer" ones don't so much. I think they changed the formula around 83 or 84

The world may never know for sure....
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk