News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 21, 2024, 02:30:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: The BEAST  (Read 5491 times)

Offline devil666

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
The BEAST
« on: December 13, 2013, 02:53:24 AM »
Hello
I am a new owner of a 1981 Eagle sx/4 Sport, 6 cyl 4 spd manual, tow package, class 2 hitch, rear sway bar, front skid plate, no a/c (but I would like to add it), cable control side mirrors, extra gauges, digital clock, rebuilt motor 20K ago, 100K on the speedo, custom tube bumpers, though I would like to find plastic end caps for stock bumpers and remount them, original window sticker and build sheet, one owner prior to myself (Hi RC!), bought from a local AMC dealer, CA smog car, passes test fine, NO rust -  it is my new best friend: the BEAST.
I would like to find stock A/C parts for under dash only, and the vents, which might be the parcel tray, which has the A/C vents?  I hope to use aftermarket A/C kit for the rest of the installation, as I will use car to transport 94 yearold Silver Star awarded veteran, my Dad, as he needs to be kept cool when its hot, as he kept his cool watching out for us in the Korean conflict in the 1950s.
Oddly my car has a serpintine belt with an idler pulley on the A/C mounting bracket, so i think I can put the compressor in that spot and work backwards from there - thoughts?

Baby Eagle

Re: The BEAST
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2013, 03:14:03 AM »
odd
but my husband and I tore down a concord in salvage yard, controls shelf hoses, compressor and extend cooling box under dash that hooks to heater box for fan, the firewall on all the amc's have the punch outs, harness is like a cake walk, take pictures of your tear down Eagle or Concord or Spirit, any will do, replace yours as seen dye if needed parcel shelf, we did that in 1995 it still works great it freezes me out.

Offline devil666

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2013, 03:38:10 AM »
I figured its just a matter of finding spare parts, or rather parts cars, as my just-purchased  81 sx/4 is the first Eagle I have seen in about 15 years in CA, so spare parts may take awhile to find locally, but if parts from spirit or concord will fit too, I will search under all of those models as well.
I do not have a service manual yet, but is it possible for some one to post a pic of the extended A/C box, which attaches to the exisiting heater box, as I was curious how the evaporator was mounted and if I could fake that part of the box up some way, but having the parcel shelf with original air ducts that would make for a clean installation, if original vent parts could be found.
I see i also need a vacuum operated heater hose valve, the heater dash controls changed over to the dual AC/Heater slide switiches with vacuum T, not sure if a carb idle stablisizer is needed, bigger output Alternator, maybe a bigger radiator (but i have the factory tow package, so I should have either a 2 or 3 core radiator already?) so there is more for me to research on the retro fitting of A/C to my sx/4.
I keep asking myself why I didn't get an Eagle many years ago, i have been driving my SX/4 for just a couple of days now, it is a Beast; impressive, easy to underestimate, looks like a long friendship is going to take shape.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2013, 03:44:52 AM by devil666 »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2013, 07:42:22 AM »
Welcome to the Den and your first Thumbs Up.   Yes, you would be better off to get an A/C equipped parts car.  Does not have to be an Eagle.  An AMC Concord or Spirit will work too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2013, 07:42:49 AM »
Nice looking SX/4.  I love the name: "let's go for a ride in THE BEAST."  There are a few southern CA Eagle owners that are members here, check with Rollguy, he may have some of the parts you need.  I'd love to see more pictures, including the interior.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2013, 11:12:08 AM »
Congrats on the purchase! Look forward to hearing more and more about it. Those bumpers are interesting..
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2013, 02:47:50 PM »
I like the bumpers!

Might be easier to make those and actually find decent endcaps for them!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline devil666

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:05:12 PM »
Well, I had to reset my password, but I'm back !
I passed CA smog  - yeah! - I only had issues with a loose exhaust flange at the header, fixed it with new brass exhaust nuts, then broken apart air diverter valves, cleaned and glued them back together, then I set the timing as per the manual, as it was way to advanced, then attached the EGR valve vacuum line, my car has a "positive" type valve,  so it needs positive exhaust pressure to start the progression before the vacuum is allowed to kick in and push exhaust into the intake manifold ... oddly the EGR and CA emissions work pretty darn good, my off idle stumble is minor, with some more work it could be a non issue.
 :help: Where do I get a NEW three wire throttle position switch unique to my CA 4.2L six Eagle?
 :help: Where do I get a three wire water temperature sensor for CA emissions unique to my CA 4.2L Eagle too?
I put on new BFG TKO's - I love them, they are quiet and they stick like glue to the road.
I pulled out the drivers seat, it suffered from what must be a common seat frame deformation due to the AMC single seat lock hinge design, where all of the stress is put on that one hinge, as the seat back was bent way back and could not adjust to allow normal seating.
I removed the seat cover and padding, heated the sheet metal frame until it glowed red, then bent it back into alignment in three axis, and for good measure i found that 1" square tube just slipped into the stamped sheet metal lower seat frame, so I welded in a sub frame, repaired the spring attachment points, added a sheet of new padding over the springs, reinstalled the old padding and the seat cover - the seat stands up like new, but the passenger seat, though barely used, it now appears to be 1/2 inch leaning backwards now, so perhaps it just at the begining of the same problem.
 I read folks redrill the bolt pattern on the seat adjuster hinge plates to get the seat back rest to adjust more forward - better to repair the lower seat frame and stop the frame bending problem from starting all over, even with a re-drilled hinge plate.
I had a pass side front window SS trim cover come loose on the freeway, my friend grabbed it as it was about to fly off and get run over - I need some new reveal plastic trim retainers i see they are described as being available on the Den and on the AMC Forum.
 :help: I need a new Clutch master cylinder, i can only find a new one from one company on line, sells for $80, any options for my early Eagle master cylinder?
I'm looking to buy window channel seals for both front doors, I emailed BlasserAuto,to see if they are in stock.
 :help: My front door striker pins have plastic bushings on them, both now missing.
 I see new striker pins are available, but they appear to be solid steel and may be for late model Eagles - can someone tell me if I need to fix the pins I have or can I buy new ones with plastic anti rattles, or are the solid metal pins the standard replacements for my year Eagle?
I replaced all of the front headlights with new Philips CrystalVisionUltra headlights, as the old units were just too dim from age, and yes, the new ones are worth the investment, vast improvement!  I also replaced the fog lights, actually missing, so I installed 55W rectangular driving lights, vintage Hella's from the 80s, turns out the copper contacts in the actual dash switch had come loose, using a punch to set the rivets fixed the switch and i have no problems with the fog light circuitry - now driving lights.
I ordered some SACHS rear hatch struts from PEP BOYS, they claim to be for the hatch with the spoiler attached, if they don't work I'll take them back to the store and follow other suggestions on the Den.
I am very pleased with the BEAST - even with 35 years on it, it's shaping up to be a tough companion.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 11:22:34 PM by devil666 »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 12:13:23 AM »
Good to see you back man! Looks like you are on top of it!

The window trim is likely found in Tennessee Farmers thread here: http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=38581.0

Not sure if the clutch master is any different on the T4. My T5 clutch  master did not cost that much. Pretty sure it was bought from O'Reillys.

Window channels can also be found at http://amcrambler.com and I contacted BlaserAuto by email awhile back. Took them several weeks to get back to me because my email went to their junk mail. By that time it was too late. I had already bought from amcrambler. I've heard BlaserAuto has very good customer service if you just give them a call though.

Sorry I know nothing about the striker pins. Thanks for the suggestion on the Phillips Crystal Vision Ultras though. I don't know why but for some reason it breaks my heart a little when the stock Marchal fogs aren't used. I'm not even a like MUST BE ORIGINAL kind of AMCer, but for some reason that one urks me! :) I'm sure the Hellas look good though. They make good fogs.

I too just replaced my hatch struts in my spoiler SX/4. I bought the cheapest ones from O'Reillys and recently just made a post about it in the Resources thread.

Again, welcome back. Hope you stick around for a bit!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline devil666

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:12:40 AM »
Hi Prafeston!
I see your an Eagle pro  - what is your gas mileage and what is the average MPG for a manual six cylinder sx/4 with a good running motor?
Do you have a six with a T5 behind it?
I seem to get about 12 MPG with my six and T4 with the tall final drive option, but I'm trying to not push the gas pedal so much to try to save gas.
i actually think the car is too high geared, i want to use the car to pull my trailer, wondered if having the lower final drives in both diffs was worth while, or I just down shift and keep the revs up pulling my trailer?
What brand of rear hatch struts did you buy?

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:55 AM »
I would say you have 2.73's that's what my Kammy has. Between that and the larger tires you have really high gearing.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 12:18:13 PM »
You probably have an SR4, not a T4 transmission.  And as SpreadEagle said, you probably have 2.73 gears in the axles.

My sx4 has the 258 with a SR4, and I get around 16-20mpg.  I could probably do better, but I am still running a sea level jetted carb up at 5500ft elevation.  You should definitely be able to get better than 12mpg.

I replaced the clutch master cylinder a couple years ago and I think I paid around $50 for it.  But I don't remember where I got it, and doing a quick search on the auto parts websites, cannot find one.

Offline nwamcsx

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 03:32:05 PM »
When I had my SX/4 I had to use a rebuild kit.  It was for the slave cylinder.  Think I got it at Napa.  RockAuto also has them.  I remember there were some different diameter cylinders, so you ave to be careful that you get the correct kit.  I think there is some info on this here in the forum as I kind of remember (old guy) researching this problem.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk