News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 20, 2024, 11:04:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My not-yet-named '82 SX/4  (Read 4648 times)

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
My not-yet-named '82 SX/4
« on: June 04, 2013, 01:30:29 AM »
I don't think I've ever posted in this category.  I bought this car from nest member Eric Armstrong in September of 2011.  It was a solid, running car that needed one heck of a cosmetic make-over.  Eric had installed a GM TBI system which ran quite well, but I wanted to go simplistic so I changed back to a carb with the Gronk kit and put on an HEI distributor.  She had a lot of things done to her mechanically before I got her.  From memory, the brakes, rotors, all hoses, ball joints, etc.  The engine was rebuilt and had less than 10,000 on it.  The transmission had been worked on, but it still had some issues.  Here's a list of what I did with the help of some very nice nest members (thereverendbill, captspillane, sleepsundercars, pasx4 are a few I've worked with in person):

- Installed carb kit
- HEI
- Replaced front fenders, old ones were Spirit fenders and had holes (thanks to sleepsundercars)
- Replaced hood, old one was 30% bondo (thanks captspillane)
- Replaced front and rear seats, nothing matched (thanks pasx4 for rear seat, eric included the sport front seats in the sale)
- Replaced all weatherstrip, window sweeps, door belts, window channels
- Replaced all carpet
- Scrubbed all interior panels
- Replaced dash, Installed uncommon AMC power amplifier upgrade (thanks captspillane)
- Complete transmission overhaul by Jats Transmission of Ferndale, PA
- Replaced steering box
- New alternator
- Full body work on whole car (big thanks to reverendbill for his many weekends showing me how to sand like a man)
- Full base/clear coat paint job, used PPG
- New speakers in front doors, removed rears and now use 6x9's.  Always amazed at the sound of that factory cassette deck (deck was provided by member, but I can't remember who.  Speak up!)
- Replaced front grille, painted grille and headlight bezels
- Sanded and re-painted bumpers and trim pieces
- Patch welded all weak areas in floor boards.
- Bedlined entire floor interior
- Enlarged factory sunroof hole (nothing new would fit original hole) and installed new CRL NewPort sunroof. (thanks to my fellow radio engineer Troy for his plasma-cutting skills)
- Replaced front marker lenses
- Sandblasted, painted and reinforced front seat frames.
- Replaced just about every molding/trim screw with special-ordered stainless steel hardware from Fastenal
- Replaced all molding trim clips
- Added a ground wire to help hatch solenoid ground plane (tip from captspillane)
- Had locks rebuilt by local locksmith, the dustcovers would move around in the locks

I'm sure there's more.. I saved all the receipts.  Someday I'll total up all of them  :P.

Below are some before and after shots:
September 2011:

Fall 2012:

May 2013:

I have a lot better pictures, but for now they're still on film.  Need to scan them.  I have a very nice one that might go well in the Eagle book, if it's not too late to submit it.

There are still things to do, like put the right front bumper on.  Still some surface rust underneath that needs to be taken off.  Some carb fine tuning.  But I'm very happy to be this far and very grateful to everyone here who has helped me out, even when I asked dumb questions.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 216
Re: My not-yet-named '82 SX/4
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2013, 08:07:44 AM »
WOW that is a beautiful car!  Great job!!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2013, 01:52:03 AM »
Dream car!
 :o
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2013, 11:41:20 AM »
i really like the color, is that a standard AMC color or aftermarket? and i am really jealous. LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2013, 11:00:08 PM »
Your Eagle is a thing of beauty. Congratulations to you for resurrecting this gem. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2013, 12:46:39 PM »
i really like the color, is that a standard AMC color or aftermarket?

Judging by the picture of the shell in primer which shows interior sheet metal of the same colour I'd say its a standard AMC colour.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2013, 12:57:35 AM »
Thanks for the kind words!  Just a few more things to do (it never really ends).  The color is original, AMC 2B "Sun Yellow".  The car was not originally a Sport model, at least I don't think.  It was in a collision and had Spirit front fenders installed.  The right front fender doesn't align quite right and never will, according to the shop that painted it.

I just finished restoring the side moldings and I found a pair of end caps.  Hopefully by next week I'll have the moldings and front bumper done.  The rear window needs a glass seal, bad.  Blaserauto.com actually stocks reproduction glass seals for the SX/4 and wagons, they're just out of stock right now (they do have wagon seals in stock).
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2013, 03:29:38 AM »
Good score on the end caps. Those are hard to find!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2013, 08:17:56 AM »
I like what you've done.  I have been delaying the inevitable in having to paint my all original 82 SX-4.   I have already gone through the entire mechanical parts of the car to include a fresh engine overhaul.  The car is rust/Cancer free.  the driver side door has developed some surface rust under the rubber molding so I removed the molding to clean up the rust and protect the door.  But now noticing the paint under the windshield molding is chipped and some surface rust developing there.  Will have to remove the windshield to correct the problem.  If I do that I will end up stripping the car to bare shell and do what you have done and remove all the windows, trim, lights etc. etc. Nice job.    Very inspiring.
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2013, 09:57:41 AM »
Great Job Mac, really good work, your SX4 looks awesome!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2013, 12:59:43 PM »
  Blaserauto.com actually stocks reproduction glass seals for the SX/4 and wagons, they're just out of stock right now (they do have wagon seals in stock).

Great action!  Thanks for posting that.  My glass seals on my SX/4 aren't in great shape and I need to pull the hatch glass.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2013, 02:39:49 AM »
Yep, during my trip from Wyoming to Texas, 2800 miles round trip,  I ran into some really bad rain storms, I noticed a leak on my rear hatch door seal.  It was not real bad, just a drip but enough to start a concern.  I will have to replace soon after returning from my deployment in the middle east. 
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2013, 05:33:14 AM »
pictures don't do that car justice really a beautiful example of a SX/4 ......... I am very happy to have lent a hand in the bodywork
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk