News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 04, 2024, 02:42:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cracked exhaust manifold  (Read 1771 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
cracked exhaust manifold
« on: August 03, 2012, 11:14:58 PM »
I have a cracked exhaust manifold on my 87 Eagle. Has anyone here replaced one on their Eagle 258? I also, am looking for the torque specs for the manifolds. Taking off the intake and exhaust at the same time...anyone with 'look out for's' and 'beware of's' would be welcome.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: cracked exhaust manifold
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2012, 02:59:42 AM »
Just chiming in that I'm looking to replace my exhaust manifold soon just because a lot of the design is deprecated. I'm looking to use the header from a 4.0L and does this mean going to the 4.0L head in order for this to work?
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2012, 06:30:41 AM »
when i took the set off the wagon to get blasted and painted i was unable to get the tube that connects the 2 off ither one without damaging that tube .... other than that it is pretty simple and straight forward
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2012, 08:55:18 AM »
I just got mine back on. Had to remove to get the new exhaust on. Anyway put in new studs and then took exhaust manifold to a machine shop and had them surface it before I reinstalled it. Found when reinstalling it that it was warped. Took awhile to get it back on and am wondering how long before it cracks. Now I know why both of the end studs were busted off to begin with. So we shall see.Other then that its not to bad.Used a one inch open end wrench and some pb blaster to remove the pipe that connects the two. Just cracked the wrench a couple of times with a hammer and it came loose. Just make sure you lable everything because there is a ton of stuff to remove and you should be fine.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk