News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 08:26:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: from ak currently living on the east coast  (Read 2614 times)

allknown

from ak currently living on the east coast
« on: September 26, 2012, 11:08:44 PM »
Hey everyone I just joined and while I don't currently own an Eagle Wagon, I'm considering getting one before my next big move. I absolutely LOVE the look of them (I'm a sucker for wagons), you can't beat wood panels and a car that looks like a pit bull. I've been going to school on the east coast for a couple of years now, but I graduate in June 13' (FINALLY!) and will be moving back home to Alaska! As such it's time to upgrade to 4WD and pick up something cherry before moving north. I love the idea of purchasing an eagle but a couple of things worry me, hopefully you guy's can shed some light on these issues:

- Parts availability: How hard are parts to find for the eagle wagon? Basic repair parts? Engines? Transmissions? Clutches? It would suck to have to hunt for parts any time anything went wrong especially because I'd probably have to ship them up from the lower 48.

- Cross compatibility: Are there other brands that have parts that are compatible? Other AMC vehicles?

Thanks for your help answering these questions, I've been drooling all over your Eagles in the snow for the past couple of weeks, and can't wait to get my own (possibly)!

*Sorry if these questions are frustrating, I'm just getting into the car world. As an engineer I can tell you  the ins and outs of an IC engine, but I haven't had space/time to take a car apart and really figure out how everything goes together. Ask me about bicycles and I can talk for days haha.

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: from ak currently living on the east coast
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2012, 07:00:53 AM »
Original/replacement parts for general repair are available anywhere as these engines where used by Jeep for many years.  In terms of transmissions and transfer cases, you can find original parts but you also have several options to pick from as Jeep bits and pieces from the '90s and 2000's can be used with minimal or no fabrication/modification.

If you are going to press an Eagle into a daily driver role, then you have to expect the same level of maintenance and repair work that you would of any 30 year old vehicle.

Biggest stumbling block that I'm aware of are the IFC half shafts.  However, even there I've read there is an option.  Seeing how I don't own an Eagle myself ( ;D ) I'm sure several people with first hand experience will chime in and shed light on the subject.

There are a few options with upgrading the distributor/ignition and the carb.  It all has been documented here on the forum...has anything else you would want to know.

Congrats on your pending graduation.  If you want to dig in to working on an old and classic workhorse, the Eagle is a great choice.  You'll learn a lot just from performing functional and satisfying upgrades.  For example, when I do land an Eagle, I'll convert it to fuel injection and a stroker...if not a V-6 altogether.  That might be more fab work then you are looking to get into, but a project like this can take you as far as you want to go.  Let the good times roll.
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2012, 07:01:40 AM »
Welcome to the nest.  :hello2: To answer your question about parts; some things are easier to get than others. There are plenty of members on this site that have parts stashes and would be happy to sell you what you need. There are also a few sites that have some reproduction parts. As far as cross compatibility, I know AMC used parts from the big three in their cars, but I don't know for sure what those parts are. If you need parts, maybe if you have access a yard like pick n pull or some yard that carries older vehicles that may be a good place to look for things you may need. Unfortunately NJ doesn't have much of anything like that for me.  :-\

I myself am a sucker for any wagon myself. I love my 86 wagon.

Good luck in finding an eagle and good luck in finishing up school.  :)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

allknown

« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2012, 10:06:01 AM »
Thanks for the hospitality everyone! I've started sifting through the material this site has to offer, and I just have to say....WOW! There is so much to learn!

I guess this would probably be a good place to put a little blurb about myself so you have a sense of my background. As mentioned I'm currently in school on the east coast. I'll be graduating in June of 13' with a dual BS/MS degree in mechanical engineering and will soon thereafter be moving back home to Alaska. I noticed in the "AMC Eagles by State..." there's one other (registered) Eagle in Alaska (who did some AWESOME manufacturing for a body lift) so maybe over Christmas I could see how his Eagle flies with the body lift. I haven't secured work yet up in Alaska, but I've begun putting out the feelers to see who's hiring and figuring out what companies I'd be interested in working for. Eventually I'd like to open up my own machine shop that not only offers manufacturing services, but also engineering services (product development, design optimization and creation, and maybe even some small batch production).

I think next up on my to-do list is to run through the "Project Cars" thread to see what people are doing to their Eagles and see how intensive working on an Eagle can be. If you have some suggestions on your favorite threads (right now mine would have to be the "Eagles in Action" thread), or good threads that will introduce me to the problems that I'd most likely run into with an Eagle, please post them!
« Last Edit: September 28, 2012, 11:19:55 AM by allknown »

Offline bigdog56e

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 65
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2012, 05:43:41 PM »
 Start by designing and manufacturing front sub frames for Eagels taken off the road because of rust, theres a need to preserve evryone as there will be no more.
                                                                                                        Eddie

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2012, 11:32:40 PM »
Thanks for the hospitality everyone! I've started sifting through the material this site has to offer, and I just have to say....WOW! There is so much to learn!

I guess this would probably be a good place to put a little blurb about myself so you have a sense of my background. As mentioned I'm currently in school on the east coast. I'll be graduating in June of 13' with a dual BS/MS degree in mechanical engineering and will soon thereafter be moving back home to Alaska. I noticed in the "AMC Eagles by State..." there's one other (registered) Eagle in Alaska (who did some AWESOME manufacturing for a body lift) so maybe over Christmas I could see how his Eagle flies with the body lift. I haven't secured work yet up in Alaska, but I've begun putting out the feelers to see who's hiring and figuring out what companies I'd be interested in working for. Eventually I'd like to open up my own machine shop that not only offers manufacturing services, but also engineering services (product development, design optimization and creation, and maybe even some small batch production).

I think next up on my to-do list is to run through the "Project Cars" thread to see what people are doing to their Eagles and see how intensive working on an Eagle can be. If you have some suggestions on your favorite threads (right now mine would have to be the "Eagles in Action" thread), or good threads that will introduce me to the problems that I'd most likely run into with an Eagle, please post them!

I can tell when people are talkign about me :)  I have a wagon up here in AK I just picked up for parts.  You can have it once I get whaty I need off of it.  I have some automotive machine experience and I have a BS in Business management.  Lets make some eagle parts!!! Get up here already and lets make it happen.  I'll show you the big wagon too 
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk