News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 10:52:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: no start  (Read 1737 times)

Offline twoslowinwyo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 29
no start
« on: July 25, 2012, 12:15:25 PM »
well after a long weekend i decided to see if the eagle i picked up would start. i picked up a batt. on the way home from work, along with some starting fluid and carb cleaner. i cleaned off the grime and hooked up the batt. sprayed in some starting fluid and crossed my fingers. i was rewarded with a few pops. a little more fluid and some more cranking and i had gas in the carb. now all i get is a lot of blowback out of the carb, along with a lot of gas coming out, almost like there is a stuck open intake valve or the cam is out of timing  ??? it is trying to start (i think) but it all seems out of whack. has anyone had a similar problem or any ideas on what to look for? i will try again after work and see what i can do. also i think i have a strange plastic valve cover, it has bolts all the way around, has anyone seen one of these? thanks, LAZ
LAZ
1984 wagon
1984 wagon-daughters car
1985 wagon- parts car
1984 wagon-working on
1983 SX/4- working on
1974 matador- future vintage racer

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: no start
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2012, 08:04:45 PM »
Could be someone messed with the plug wires, but the 258 Max98059 is parting has a flat cam from sitting and being started dry after sitting 10 years (I didn't do my usual pull the valve cover and oil the lifters, then spin by hand)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk