News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• June 03, 2024, 04:45:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: muffler location question  (Read 5130 times)

Offline brettb

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
muffler location question
« on: July 01, 2010, 01:24:42 PM »
I'm going to remove the Cat (not legal I know...but I dont have emissions checks and live at high altitude) think this might help power
how about throwing a high flow muffler on where the cat is??? maybe with a (2) 2" out?

will the be a problem having the muffler so far back?  dont know what would be best....straight pipe instead of cat to high flow muffler? any advice would be great
its hard to soar with the eagles when your surrounded by turkeys!!!!

Offline Venosho

• Sterzinger Automotive
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 17
Re: muffler location question
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010, 01:29:22 PM »
if you are going to cusomize your exaust there are a lot of people here that have converted to a dual exaust system with much success. and without emisions control replacing the cat with a single in dual out "good" muffler can do wonders for not only your power but also your sound. my only suggestion is that you cross back over to the drivers sid farther back than the original place and go over the drive shaft as opposed to under it right there by the tail of the trans.
Click for Phoenix, Arizona Forecast" border="0" height="60" width="468
'75 JEEP J20 401 quadra-track 4wd (The Beast)
'81 AMC Eagle (the Monster)
'82 AMC Eagle Limited (oem HEI upgrade) (Copper Bopper)
"82 AMC Eagle SX-4 (Baby Girl)
'85 Mazda RX-7 GSL-SE (drifter) 13b-T wide body kit project
'92 JEEP Cherokee Sport 4.0 HO (Mom's ride)

Offline Mechanic

• "This is gona be expensive....."
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 53
  • Which project to start first....
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 02:14:32 PM »
Well, having played with almost every possible way to modify the exhaust on the eagles cheaply, I'll put my .02 cents in.

The cat converter is actually beside the tranny/T-case on the passenger side. not farther back. the stock muffler position is on the driver side parallel to the yoke on the diff(approximately).

To mention some of my mods and what I liked most;

First thing I did on all my exhaust mods was to take a bar and basically gut the cat. making it a wide pipe essentially. it also keeps it somewhat legal cause unless the policemen cut it open, you have a "muffler"

-the first mod I did was, with the cat in place, remove the muffler and add a strait pipe. basically stock exhaust track except with no muffler. this gave me more power, but I didn't like the sound, it sounded cheap and "rappy"

-Second, was a side exit deal that exited on the passenger side. that sounded awesome, gave me good power, and looked good. I kept that till I smacked the car up.

-third, dual exhaust. the exhaust the SX/4 was horribly rusted and bashed up, so, I cut it approximately were the bracket should a been that held the cat, and built dual exhaust after the existing cat just the way it was(didn't bash it out) the final product is by far my favorite.

Here are some pics and movie of my dual exhaust set up.

2000 Toyota 4runner 221,000 k's (DD)
1997 Chevy S10 180,000 k's (Project car)
1988 Mazda RX-7 248,000 k's (For Sale)
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon 192,000 k's (Project car)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 65,000 k's (Restoration Project)
1981 AMC Eagle SX/4 140,000 k's (Trail build)
1981 Chevy Camaro Burlineta 134,000 K's (Performance build)
1977 Ford F350 Dually with dump (farm truck project)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010, 03:20:51 PM »
Take a look here:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=12234.msg115216#msg115216

Page 3 and scroll down a bit.

I put a straight pipe where the cat was (this is legal for a car of this age in the Netherlands) and a Dynomax Turbo on the rear.
It has a nice dark and quiet rumble that suits the Eagle's AMC 258.
The cat was in a spot where I was tempted to put a cherry bomb in.
Maybe you can try this for me.
"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline brettb

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 03:22:34 PM »
my current thought is to have someone weld the braket from the cat to 2" pipe to a magnaflow or flowmaster 50 Delta series with dual exits and have them come out beind the passengers side door??

any thoughts? should I put both tail pipes on the same side or on opposites!
its hard to soar with the eagles when your surrounded by turkeys!!!!

Offline thereverendbill

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
I am in the same boat with Mechanic on just punching out the cat and letting there for astedics, here in PA they do look for a cat so i am stuck to it.  as far as duels exiting on 1 side I have done it in the past with an elcamino and liked it.  The folks who don't like it will comment on it, but heck it is your car and it makes it stand out a little more (not that an AMC Eagle doesn't stand out on it's own).  You can try it and if it turns out not the way you want you can hack it off and make it the way you want.  Good luck with it and send some pics
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline brentsydlik

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
i just rednecked my pipes a bit... not quite done but ill tell you anyway. when i got the car someone had already tried to steal the cat but didnt get it all the way off so all i did was removed it and the old pipes and muffler and all, got about 4 ft of 2 1/4 pipe and went from right in front of where the cat was and put a flowmaster series 40 on... the plan from there is to basically go over the pinion on the differential and follow the stock tail pipe path with 2 1/2 or 3" pipe. we'll see how that sounds!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk