News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 02:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Anyone installed the Hesco MPI kit for 4.2  (Read 5451 times)

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
Anyone installed the Hesco MPI kit for 4.2
« on: April 25, 2011, 09:11:46 PM »
I was surfin the net looking for a sollution to the crank position sensor dillema i am going to have to deal with when I found a link to Hesco. It claims to be a plug and play EFI sollution for our 4.2's. It sounds great but has a hefty price tag of around 2400.00. I guess I could start socking away cash but Id want to be darn sure this thing is what it claims to be if Im gonna drop that kind of $$.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

wagoneerhauler

Re: Anyone installed the Hesco MPI kit for 4.2
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2011, 09:16:10 PM »
I don't know all your plans but for that $$ you should get a free 4.0 to go along with it.  That might be the better option.  Find a running Jeep with the 4.0 and swap motor and EFI.

Or wait till Eaglefreek does his Megasquirt and see what you think of that.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 05:52:29 AM by wagoneerhauler »

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2011, 09:50:48 PM »
I've never done it, but I've read about it. For stock engines, people report it's just about the same as the multiport kit. Most of the parts are 6-cylinder GM, and if you can get a hold of a chevy V6 you're 90% there, you just need certain colored computer modules.

You'll add an adapter for the throttle body and then have your computer re-flashed. There are kits if you want to tinker with the fuel maps yourself, or you're running a custom cam. You can save $$ with a junkyard setup.

The disadvantage is it's technically capable of less power because it's a wet runner. Maybe slightly more emissions and you have the rich/lean cylinder mix the stock intake causes. There's no stock parts swap that will work without a re-flash. No integrated ignition system.

The advantage is a simpler system, one you can move to a new car easily. Much better tolerance of radical cams and the ability to use 2x3 or 4bbl setups. It can blend in on an engine easier, it uses a standard 4bbl air cleaner. It can integrate with HEI or compatible systems to adjust spark if you're into a radical ignition system.

Oh, and another disadvantage, if you are changing altitudes, you should occasionally stop and turn off the engine so it can re-calibrate the MAP sensor.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2011, 09:58:41 PM »
Ben I think you may be confused with a TBI kit. The MPI kit Hesco sells is a Mopar part and is all OEM Jeep parts except for the custom wiring harness and front CPS damper. You could buy just the harness and CPS and get the PCM, manifold, throttle body, and injectors used for pennies on the dollar.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2011, 10:45:58 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2011, 10:32:09 PM »
I read further on the hesco website. I see they do make a CPS conversion that would work great...and much cheaper alternative to the whole EFI set up.

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 02:24:57 AM »
I read further on the hesco website. I see they do make a CPS conversion that would work great...and much cheaper alternative to the whole EFI set up.
That CPS conversion is for the Jeep computer. Or, if that's what you're talking about.... My transmission (well, my replacement trans) was 290 bucks from J&B autocrusher in Denver, came with full warranty, shifter, clutch arm, slave, bellhousing, throwout bearing even.. A new clutch kit was 100 bucks and a flywheel was 50 bucks from the Bay and the cps was 5 dollars at a junkyard. So, for 300+ you can get a damper and sensor which are not as accurate as the stock setup, or for 150 bucks more have an upgraded transmission with stock cps config, and brand new clutch (if you are going manual)... that's my .015. Here's my other .005..

Hesco is the dream jeep toy store and I have a very expensive wishlist that will be realized one of these days, but because of their overhead and general monopoly in this sort of niche market, they have ridiculous markup, and their prices continue to rise. There are some parts on their site that are priced decently, such as their fuel pumps, but overall, IMO, if you have a little knowhow or an ability to learn, you can have fuel injection and far more power and an upgraded drivetrain to go with for around 1000 less than just their intake manifold, computer, sensors, pump and wiring in their kit.

But, that's also a matter of personal preference.
Okay, so that was more like .25 lol
« Last Edit: April 26, 2011, 02:28:08 AM by tougeagle »
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline ericarmstrong

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 52
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2011, 09:16:02 AM »
just wait a month and ill cut you a deal on my tbi setup. ;-).  Seriously though, withouth the inmproved flow of a 4.0 head you'll see a minor difference between mpg with tbi vs mpi. The tbi setup is very simple and easy to customize.  If your going to do an mpi setup i agree with everone else,  upgrade the drivetrain at the same time. You can find a wrecked donor rig for half the cost of the mopar mpi kit.
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4

Offline shanebo

• Thumbs Up 71
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2011, 12:12:19 PM »
My bigges gripe was having to drill the bell housing for a CPS....I found a few alternatives though so Im gonna continue on with my junk yard EFI as planned.... ;D

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2011, 04:44:54 PM »
Ben I think you may be confused with a TBI kit.

Darn it, I had to look that up again. I could have sworn Hesco made a TBI kit, but that's Howell! I had a brain cell short out.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk