News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 23, 2024, 10:02:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Basic? Starter Q's  (Read 7182 times)

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Re: Basic? Starter Q's
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2012, 01:30:26 PM »
Thanks, Mernsey, now I know what to look for!
I ran a wire direct from battery to a mounting screw for some canister on the upper pass side. It was a bit small, 12ga, but all I had on hand. After that didn't work, then I ran jumper cables right to the starter. First ground on the chassis nearby, then on a starter mounting bolt. Got sparks, but that was all, so I'm thinking I'll have to pull the starter for a bench test.  :censored:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #16 on: March 26, 2012, 01:47:03 PM »
These type of starters can pass bench test, yet fail under load. Get a breaker bar and with the key turned off (very important because I left the key on one time and got a big bruise from the ignition kicking the motor backwards) turn the motor and listen for a clunk from the starter. If you do, then the snapring shattered in the nose and the drive stuck engaged with the contacts open so it can't engage. When you hear the clunk, try the ignition again. It may go. If so, the starter needs to be fixed, but mine did that for 3 months before I got tired of it and pulled it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2012, 05:12:39 PM »
Just tried turning the crankshaft again, but no noise from the starter, let alone a clunk. Hopefully this repair isn't a sign of what's to come.........................it's a really nice bird, apart from the interior! All that I can do now, that I know of, is to pull the starter and have it bench tested or replaced if they will. Oh well, doing that will seem minor compared to what I just did..................replaced both front axles in the Subaru.  :P

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
  • Never thought i'd have one but know i always will!
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2012, 07:25:07 PM »
Thanks, Mernsey, now I know what to look for!
I ran a wire direct from battery to a mounting screw for some canister on the upper pass side. It was a bit small, 12ga, but all I had on hand. After that didn't work, then I ran jumper cables right to the starter. First ground on the chassis nearby, then on a starter mounting bolt. Got sparks, but that was all, so I'm thinking I'll have to pull the starter for a bench test.  :censored:
all it did was spark no spin? it doesn't need to be out to bench test it, you just did it. the starter grounds threw the casting so if you grounded to a mount bolt then thats right. the second you touch the + cable to the + lead on the starter, it should have tried to start.  sounds like a bad one. your not near nh are you? if you were id take trip

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2012, 07:41:55 PM »
all it did was spark no spin? it doesn't need to be out to bench test it, you just did it. the starter grounds threw the casting so if you grounded to a mount bolt then thats right. the second you touch the + cable to the + lead on the starter, it should have tried to start.  sounds like a bad one. your not near nh are you? if you were id take trip

I'm in Oregon, but thanks for the offer!
Got it pulled today, so I'll have a replacement in the next day or two.
That HAS to be it....................everything else is done.  ;D

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2012, 07:42:57 PM »
Good luck man! My fingers are crossed for you.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 03:45:26 AM »
As long as the motor was turnable it should be the only problem. Did you try battery cables to the starter on the ground? Sadly I have at least 3 of those starters kicking around I'll probably never use. The AX-15 bell won't align with that style starter, so I'll have the new and used one for the Honcho and the 998 is coming out of the Spirit (just before the converter goes south altogether) to be replaced with an AW4/NP242 from my buddy's XJ.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 10:22:40 AM »
I did try battery cables direct to the starter, but with no effect in the least. I have a "new" starter now, and both did bench test just fine. I'm starting to wonder if the battery provided isn't large enough. It charges up to 13V+ just fine, but is so small, maybe it doesn't have the cranking amps needed? I did also try jumping with a running Bronco, (truck, not equine)  :rotfl: but that didn't work. My cables are good, heavy gauge ones, but quite old and have rusty clamps. I think at this point if the new starter doesn't do the trick, I'll install one of my large Interstate's directly in the Eagle. Even the smaller one in my Subaru has something like 675 CCA. Update as soon as I can get this done around work. Wish me luck.................I can't think of anything else to check!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:00 AM »
Is the motor able to turn over by hand

Manitowoc WI

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 10:32:22 AM »
if that battery spun the new starter on the bench and wont spin the one in the bird (when you put the cables on the starter) then i would say its the starter. I use Interstate deepcycle batteries (marine) in all my rigs. I understand it might be over kill but they last forever and i've never had a dead batt. I can use my electrical stuff for a long time and not worry about it starting.

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 12:12:07 PM »
if that battery spun the new starter on the bench and wont spin the one in the bird (when you put the cables on the starter) then i would say its the starter. I use Interstate deepcycle batteries (marine) in all my rigs. I understand it might be over kill but they last forever and i've never had a dead batt. I can use my electrical stuff for a long time and not worry about it starting.

The battery in the Eagle is an old, small Napa premium. It has never spun a starter with my jumpers, but the starter did engage strongly from another battery. I totally agree with the Interstate batteries: mine aren't deep-cycle, but as large as will fit in my rigs, with high CCA.

Offline BaldEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2012, 11:33:49 PM »
Got her running today  :occasion14:
It was just the battery, ultimately.
Swapped out one from my Subaru, and it cranked...ran pretty smooth for only having 1/4 tank of year old gas in it too!
At least now I shouldn't have to worry about the starting system for a while.

Offline standup650

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2012, 07:18:09 AM »
 :hello2: congrats man!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk