News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• September 28, 2024, 01:19:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: OEM Coil  (Read 3835 times)

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
OEM Coil
« on: September 09, 2012, 05:57:38 PM »
Here is a new project for anyone who feels inclined to help me.

I am looking for a non-dealer source for an OEM coil, or a reliable aftermarket equivalent.

A reasonably affordable one would help.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Re: OEM Coil
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 06:34:46 PM »
NAPA, Advance Auto, etc etc...
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 06:35:26 PM »
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »

It would help if your answer was more specific.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:17:29 PM »

It would help if your answer was more specific.

If you go to any of those parts stores and tell them you need an ignition coil and give them the make/model/year they will give you a direct replacement one, they should have several options on the computer for you to choose from.  It seems like you're better off spending a little extra money and going with a higher-end unit like an MSD, the bottom shelf ones often have bad reviews indicating failing within a few days, weeks, or months.

The link to the Wells one you posted on Rock Auto should be good, Wells seems to have a pretty good reputation.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 09:20:48 PM by WoodenBirdOfPrey »
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline George Mann

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:20:27 PM »
Sorry guys, but the Pertronix and MSD are out due to incompatibility and being unreliable.

That's why I am going back to the stock system + TFI cap and rotor. Non of the mods have worked out. If there was a reliable (with or without resistor) high-energy coil, I would try it.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 12:59:59 AM »
When it comes to OE that is a complicated issue.  There are OE parts that came on the car factory and thee are OE sold at dealerships which are not necessarily the same thing.  Obviously, this doesn't pertain to us because AMC no longer exists. 

There are several manufactures that manufacture for the OE suppliers and also supply the aftermarket parts stores (O'Reilly, NAPA, Advance etc.)  If you go to a good parts store and buy their premium ignition parts line you are in good shape. 

In my experience BWD and Standard Ignition are good brands and they both do OE work.

Wells used to be good but I have heard the quality has fallen down over the years.  They do a lot of "cheaper line" house brand ignition for several suppliers. 

Just my $.02 hope it helps.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline DaemonForce

• Grease Magnet
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 02:22:18 AM »
I've been using an ordinary Ford coil from NAPA. It's been in use for 3 years now. I replaced the stock AMC coil and that stopped most of the random engine shutdowns. Took me until last Winter to figure out the issue with my Ignition Control Module. I'm planning on going to a very old Ford TFI dist and an MSD coil for my rebuilt 258. I have a really interesting idea that requires the brass. :)
1983 Limited
AMC 258C {R2:27.Jun.13}
Carter 2681 {R2:28.Oct.12}
TorqueFlite A998 {R6: -20.Apr.12}
NP129 {R2:28.Apr.12}
M35-273 {???}
Compression: 0
Corrected Idle: 0RPM

Rebuild:
???

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:36:18 AM »
The T connector style coils are notoriously unreliable due to corrosion at the connector. I cut the leads and put in a NAPA IC12SB coil (about $16 here) and it has double the voltage output of the T style one. That's what was on SOTE when Max98059 got it from me and it made it easy to start in winter up in Northern BC.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2012, 01:59:51 PM »
I've been using an ordinary Ford coil from NAPA. It's been in use for 3 years now. I replaced the stock AMC coil and that stopped most of the random engine shutdowns. Took me until last Winter to figure out the issue with my Ignition Control Module. I'm planning on going to a very old Ford TFI dist and an MSD coil for my rebuilt 258. I have a really interesting idea that requires the brass. :)

I second getting a Ford/Motorcraft coil. I used one myself after aftermarket coil woes. If you ask for the same coil from an 80s ford 300 six you can find them with both the horseshoe connector and with standard terminal posts.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk