News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 02:44:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: SolVac for all Eagles?  (Read 479 times)

Offline krimmth

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
SolVac for all Eagles?
« on: March 27, 2024, 07:00:33 AM »
Hi,

Currently I try to solve some issues with the carb (258 engine)
I saw that my eagle has no SolVac installed, I believe it is a 83 or 84 Canadian produced version for the European market.

Is it possible that there is no SolVac installed in my eagle but only an electric one?
I found no vaccum connection and no loose vaccum line around the carb.

Thanks
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 07:02:21 AM by krimmth »

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: SolVac for all Eagles?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2024, 07:23:54 AM »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule, totaled 3/26/24 rear ended REAL HARD. concussion and whiplash. not fun
1999 Ford E250 conversion/work van 238,000 see if it will make 300,000
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin, the long haul trucker

Offline krimmth

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2024, 07:58:42 AM »
Thank you!

According the documentation I am sure my Eagle has a BBD carb.
Now I need to find out why I have only a Solenoid with a wire and not a combined one with electrical and vaccum push.

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2024, 12:27:33 PM »
Up against the firewall around the diagnostic connector and the wiper motor is there a 4-pin Packard 56 connector just hanging there?
The vacuum side of the Sol-vac provided additional idle RPM over the solenoid kick for things like hot starting and raising the ported vacuum high enough for the canister purge valve to open. I suspect someone deleted the vacuum portion to delete hoses and modified in just a solenoid so that you still had idle kick for the AC/lights/defroster.

Offline krimmth

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2024, 04:16:28 AM »
Thank you for the hint! I found several disconnected vacuum lines. After reconnection the engine runs a bit smoother. However I am not sure if somebody has removed something. The old boy has still a lot of vacuum lines.
I still have an issue with the idle. At starting to low, after the engine has operation temperature it is getting to high.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2024, 10:05:07 AM »
This might help too.
Vacuum map.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule, totaled 3/26/24 rear ended REAL HARD. concussion and whiplash. not fun
1999 Ford E250 conversion/work van 238,000 see if it will make 300,000
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin, the long haul trucker

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2024, 04:19:54 PM »
Eaglepedia has a pretty large set of vacuum diagrams. There are several variations for the 1983 model year.
https://amceaglesden.com/guide/Diagram_Section

I still have an issue with the idle. At starting to low, after the engine has operation temperature it is getting to high.

Make sure your fast idle cam on the carburetor isn't sticking and the choke is opening. The two are linked together so the steps on the cam drop the idle as it warms up until the choke fully opens and unloads the cam entirely.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2024, 04:24:05 PM by MIPS »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk