News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:51:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My 81 Concord wagon project  (Read 5512 times)

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
My 81 Concord wagon project
« on: January 16, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
In conjunction with the War Wagon Eagle I've had an 81 Concord that I've been dabbling with for some time.  So finally got the front ball joints and brakes all replaced and got the exhaust on it this weekend.  New radiator, new water pump and t'stat.  Finally ready to take it for a test run down the street.  So jumped in, started it up and headed out of the back yard but something wasn't right.  Had hardly no power and started to stutter and cough and finally stalled.  Tried to restart but it would just sputter a bit so rolled it back into the back yard to investigate the next day.  Next day, tried to start it and it did fire, rolled it up on to the garage and it ran for a few minutes but again no power, like it needed help moving.  Shut it down and started looking at stuff under the hood.  For whatever reason I happened to pull the dipstick and was welcomed by a milky-coffee looking liquid on my dipstick.  ARHG!  Water in the oil,  so suspicion is head gasket or some other failure.  After all the work and time, now it decides to do this.  Oh well, so I guess I either pull the engine and start to see what the problem is or park the thing for another day and work on the 72 Ambassador wagon.   Ya just gotta love it!
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: My 81 Concord wagon project
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 06:02:28 PM »
Compression test first. Cannot belive a head gasket will kill your power that bad.

Manitowoc WI

Offline craigp29690

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2012, 11:25:56 AM »
Oh yeah it can kill it pretty bad depending on how many cylinders have lost compression.  Imagine the difference between a 6-cyl car and a 3-cyl car.

I've been through this on a couple of cars I bought to fix and resell.  Head gasket failures are pretty common because people don't keep up with maintenance and end up overheating the engine.   

The PO on this one had a leaky and clogged up radiator filled with what looked like good old Carolina red clay water.  When I replaced the T'Stat someone had used an extremely liberal amount of RTV on the gasket and it had one part of the opening about 50+% clogged.  But it ran decent when I'd start it and move it around, ran a little rough but I hadn't got to changing out plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor yet so I attributed the roughness to that. 
1957 Nash Rambler
1964 Rambler Classic 770 2dr
1965 Rambler Classic Wagon              NON-AMC
1966 Rambler Classic Wagon              1981 MAZDA 626 (RWD)
1972 AMC Ambassador Wagon           1991 MAZDA MX5
1981 AMC Concord Wagon                1978 Dodge Magnum XE
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd        
1987 AMC Eagle Wagon Ltd           Yes I have a few toys..........

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 11:33:27 AM »
Thats why i first said compression test. usuaully if its that bad due to a head gasket than its way more obvious.

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:01:56 PM »
Hopefully it had antifreeze (if you are in a cold zone) neighbor just lost their motor due to - temps and no antifreeze.
Now would be a good time to do a 4.0L head swap!  :idea: :hello:
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk