News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 20, 2024, 09:00:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have a perfectly good paint so I'm gonna paint it anyways...advice?  (Read 1922 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
This is my 1985 Eagle Wagon

It has a great paint job on it right now with a couple spots of rust coming thru but I'd like to change the color so that it doesn't look like quite the granny mobile. I'm thinking that I'd like to go to a metallic blue and paint the plastics black unless you guys can think of a better paint combo.

What advice do you guys have for a novice? How far does it need sanded down? What type of paint and how about an economical gun?

Last car I painted was a Cadillac out in a farm field in Amarillo, TX.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
Re: Have a perfectly good paint so I'm gonna paint it anyways...advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 10:31:18 AM »
To do a complete color change correctly, all the trim and removable parts need to come off. The guy I bought my sedan (http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=37254.0) from did it correctly, and the results are worth the effort.  Many times on paint jobs where the trim is just masked off, after a while moisture gets between the old and new paint and the new paint starts peeling.  It is hard to get the paint to stick up close to the trim.  Removing everything allows the paint to get under where the trim is, and leaves no entrance for moisture or dirt.  If you are using the same color, it is easier because the jambs and under side of  trunk (or hatch) and hood don't need painting.  Just my .02 though.....Rich
« Last Edit: September 08, 2014, 10:47:24 AM by rollguy »
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: Have a perfectly good paint so I'm gonna paint it anyways...advice?
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 11:16:23 AM »
Im in the middle of a repainting project on the SX4 we are working on

there is a thread with pics in the Projects area

its the biggest and most difficult thing I have ever done to a car, I would rather change the drivetrain three times....

To do it right you need to remover everything, all the trim, moldings, everything

I also removed the doors and painted the jambs, as well as the hood

then a LOT of sanding, get it all roughed up good and smooth, down to 320 grit, then primer, then sand again, then primer again, finally wet sanding the primer!

Going to spray it hopefully this weekend, than begin putting it all back together

Use a lot of zip lock baggies and label everything

I have learned a lot, the biggest thing I have learned is why body shops charge so much, its a LOT of labor
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk