News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 12:43:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Repost: 82 Sedan Project in SoCal  (Read 18517 times)

Offline PacerMike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Repost: 82 Sedan Project in SoCal
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:57:38 AM »
UPDATE: The buyer had some unforeseen circumstances come up and is not able to buy the car after all. I'm almost out of time now and may be moving out of state in as little as three weeks! I'm DESPERATE to find a home for this car! Thanks guys!
The price is $1,500 o.b.o.

I just want to find this car a home where it can be stored safe and out of the weather. If anyone is interested or even knows of anyone who might be please let me know. Thanks, guys.

Well, I've owned this car for 18 years. I always dreamed of fully restoring it and driving it out to one of the AMC meets... but I only got as far as painting it. Now we just had our first baby and between that and student loans I'm realizing I'll probably never have money again. So as sick as it makes me to throw in the towel I have to sell my Eagle. It was my very first car, I got it when I was 15 1/2, and it started my love affair with AMCs. I will hate to see it go. :(

Right now the car is still in post-paint shop condition. The windows, door hardware, some of the interior and some of the body are still off the car, but I have it all in boxes in the garage. Most of the vehicle still needs to be color sanded but the trunk and the driver's rear quarter have been polished. All the body panels are in nice shape so you can finish the project or use it for parts (even though the thought of that breaks my heart :'( ).

It's a Limited model with power steering and brakes, cruise control, tilt wheel, power windows and door locks, A/C, etc.

The car originally had a vinyl top but I removed it and welded up all the trim holes.

Unfortunately there is a fairly bad crack in the paint on the driver's side rain gutter that would need to be repaired. I can post up additional pictures if needed.

Mechanically the car still runs, and I still fire it up from time to time, but it hasn't been driven in years. The plan was to swap in a fuel injected 4.0 Jeep engine which will also be included. The 4.0 has a complete wiring harness. Technically the Eagle is a light truck so this swap should be legal even in California, even though I never got far enough along to find out. The title is clean and the registration is not current, but no fees or penalties have accrued because the car's in PNO (Planned Non-Operation) with the DMV.

Also included is an NP 242 transfer case which I had also planned to swap in.

I have all the body plastic; flares, rocker extensions, rear filler and a full set of uncracked bumper extensions which took me quite a lot of searching to collect!

I have all the glass except the windshield and a brand-new-in-the-box rear window with the built-in defrost wiring.

The car has factory alloy wheels. Even the spare is alloy.

There's an extra set of bumpers and an extra hood (non sport model).

I have a ton of extra interior parts. Two sets of door panels, one of the sets is in pretty nice shape. Extra radio bezels for older two post radios and one for the more modern electronic models. I have the optional gauge console that goes around the floor shifter with a clock and three gauges, and the instrument cluster with a tachometer built-in. Dash is in good shape too.

I have what I think was their top electronic radio model with AM/FM/cassette, tested and still works.

It has two-tone leather seats, the driver's seat is power. These came out of a wagon from the wrecking yard so the seat would need to be wired still. Also has the leather 3 spoke steering wheel.

I bought brand new, mint condition original paperwork for it which has the owner's manual, maintenance schedule and a bunch of other miscellaneous papers. I also have one of those AMC domed dash compasses, brand new.

I have the Technical Service Manual too, which was a lifesaver.

It comes with a few NOS badges and emblems for the glove box and the exterior.

Oh yeah, I have a full set of brand new weatherstripping for the doors too. Door gaskets, window channels and window sweeps for all four doors. Those were not cheap!

Anyway, since I never planned on selling it I have an ungodly amount of money and TIME in it that I have no chance of recovering... I'm not entirely sure what to ask for it but I thought somewhere in the $2,500 $1,500 ballpark seemed like a good deal for the whole collection.

Please hit me up with any questions or concerns. :)

Thanks,
Andy
« Last Edit: June 06, 2012, 02:10:46 AM by PacerMike »

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 213
Re: 82 Sedan Project in SoCal
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 08:47:02 AM »
Looks like a great project for somebody.  It's too bad you won't have the opportunity to complete it as you planned, it will be a great car when finished.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 11:09:35 PM »
Thats a heck of a good start to a project car...The paint and interior look awesome...Someone will have a nice solid project with that one....Sorry you have to sell it...I have to get rid of my 2 project cars too.
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline PacerMike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 12:30:59 AM »
Hey, thanks guys :)

If California weren't so expensive and I could afford my own place with more room I'd just store it until I had time/money to finish it up. It's still a quarter of a million bucks for a small two bedroom house here and there's just no way I can do that right now, not with school debt and a family.

I was just so positive I'd finish it one day... I thought if I could swap in that 4.0 and low gear transfer case it'd be so much fun to go stomping around in. Now I just hope I can find a good home for it.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2011, 11:12:35 AM »
I thought I was the only So Cal member here!   It is sad to hear that you have to sell your project.   $2,500 is a great price for the potential buyer.  If I did not have so many projects myself, or lack of room to do them, I would be at your place in a moment with truck and trailer to take it home!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 12:29:45 PM »
It would seem you've already spent the vast majority of the money you need to to complete this project, seems a shame to sell it now although I understand you may not have any spare time either.

Offline PacerMike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »
@rollguy
Wow! You have one of the turbo diesels? So cool! Where in SoCal are you? I know what you mean about space and too many projects. If you might know of anyone who'd be interested send them my way!
@priya
Spare time is definitely a huge factor but I think lack of room might be just as big. Mainly because I have a second car project that wasn't supposed to be a project at all.

The whole thing was really a perfect storm of bad luck. Back when I first started the Eagle restoration I got a '78 Pacer from a wrecking yard to drive while I worked on the Eagle. I wanted to put a pretty expensive fuel injected Hesco stroker in the Eagle but it seemed super complicated. So I used the Pacer as the guinea pig and built a "cheap" stroker and swapped it in kind of as a practice run. Got all the wiring figured out, CPS mounted to the bellhousing, etc, it was a HUGE project!

Then some stupid chick in a Honda came barreling down the straightest street in Orange County and plows in to four parked cars and actually flips her Accord upside down. The Pacer is one of those cars hit and is sandwiched between a Ford Explorer and an early 90's Mercedes of some sort. Long story short the insurance body shop did pretty bad work and now the Pacer is also a project car. Great, just what I needed.  :-\

Then we tried to buy a Wagoneer for my wife with the plan of selling her Cherokee to offset the cost. We got scammed bad and the Wagoneer turned out to be a worthless pile of  :censored: . Had to take the seller to court over it. I won my case but he's paying me back in installments and I wont have the money recovered for about two years... so one bad move and there goes my stroker fund for the Eagle. 

So in the end I wound up having to choose the car that was closest to being drivable because I only get 0 - 8 hours a week if I'm lucky to work on car stuff. I'm just too slow  :-[

What I wouldn't give to have a barn.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 11:00:02 AM »
@rollguy
Wow! You have one of the turbo diesels? So cool! Where in SoCal are you? I know what you mean about space and too many projects. If you might know of anyone who'd be interested send them my way

Actually, the TD Eagle is in Colorado nesting at the Rambler Ranch.   It turned out to be a BIG project for me as well, and I decided that Terry at R R has the resources to restore it and give it what it needs.  Read all about it here: http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=8378.0

I still may be interested in your car, as it seems too good of a deal to pass up.  I could make room in my garage, but I would need to finish my current project that is in there now.  I am in the high desert (Hesperia), which is not far from O.C.  Are you needing a good reliable car (Eagle?) or are you more in need of CA$H?
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch

Offline PacerMike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2011, 02:06:28 AM »
@rollguy
I think in my current situation I'm mostly in need of the cash and the extra space.

I checked out your turbo diesel thread. That must've been a tough call to make. How's it doing at the ranch?

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2011, 11:11:17 AM »
@rollguy
I think in my current situation I'm mostly in need of the cash and the extra space.

I checked out your turbo diesel thread. That must've been a tough call to make. How's it doing at the ranch?
I am not sure how it is doing, as I have not heard from Terry since I was there last.

Offline PacerMike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 01:08:16 AM »
Hey guys,
I updated the original post. I'm dropping the price to $1,500. Just gotta find a home for it  :-[

Prafeston

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 01:23:19 AM »
What a huge list of parts. If you live anywhere in like 300 mile radius of me I would find a way to own this vehicle. Someone is going to get one great little project that sounds like it's just a few steps away from one sweet ride.

Prafeston

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 06:02:52 PM »
Why has none bought this yet?

rohnk

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 06:13:29 PM »
Because it''s in SoCal and I am in Michigan. That Kammy on the auction site is in Cali too.  :'(

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 06:20:42 PM »
Why has none bought this yet?

I'm broke, and that's quite a distance, but if it was closer, I'd pretty much beg, borrow and/or steal to have that.  Love the color, love the fact that's it's a 4 door, and it's all been painted. 

I'd soo be snatching that up if I could.  I HATE being broke...   :banghead:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk