News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 02:54:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Small block Chevy into Eagle  (Read 16814 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Small block Chevy into Eagle
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2018, 01:45:39 PM »
Cool. Then when your done with that, make some for a LSX swap. :)
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline The Dark Side of Will

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
  • Too much effort into cars that are too cheap
« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2018, 07:59:44 PM »
The thought has crossed my mind.

We need to see how the LT1 fits first. The LS engines have the rear face of the cylinder head much closer to the bellhousing face than a traditional Chevy. In some bodies, installing an LS with the bellhousing in the same place as a Chevy means that the LS heads hit the firewall.

So we'll need to get the Chevy installed in order to see how much further forward, if any, the LS would have to sit.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:37:18 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Here's one where you can see the weird angle at which AMC mounted the diff:

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2018, 08:35:35 PM »
I'm still on this. I'm up to Revision 9 on the mount plate on this side. I've been making subtle tweaks that don't show up in photos, but I've finally nailed it. The slots for both drops are in exactly the right places and when the drops are clamped in place as shown above, I can run all four mount bolts in and out with my fingers, so all the important dimensions are NAILED.

The rear drop still needs some work, but I think the next update will get it. The rear drop shown above doesn't meet the mount plate correctly, but does accommodate the 15/32 transfer punch required to locate it correctly on the disco housing. I "fixed" it where it met the mount plate, but then it wouldn't match the hole in the disco housing. I updated it to correct the hole location and got close enough that I can get a 27/64 transfer punch through (barely). That gives me the exact amount I need to move it and a careful photo gets me the direction I need to move it, so I can, if not nail it exactly, get it really really close on the next rev.

I took a stab at a very rough snout bracket for the other side of the engine, and I should be able to get those parts cut this week. However, I will be on Navy duty for the next three weeks, so I won't be able to come back to it until the end of September.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 08:37:03 PM by The Dark Side of Will »

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2018, 05:58:35 PM »
Got to play with the first guess diff snout bracket and drop today.

The snout drop in place. Yes, as shown it interferes with the oil filter. I've fixed that for the follow-up revision.

Some detail on the surgery required on my SWAG dimensions in order to get it to bolt down:

Both brackets in place, along with the transfer punch to mark how they overlap. You can see the chunk I had to take out of the upper one because my eyeball wasn't calibrated well enough when I was using a scale to lay it out in the air.

I updated the CAD with the results of today's test fit.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »
This is great write up. i hope you are still at it. Any updates?
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

Offline Run-AMC

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2020, 03:52:11 PM »
I’m going to bump this thread for updates as well as to request a set of the final product for my own project.

Thanks a bunch! I hope the project is running smoothly!
1982 Eagle Wagon Limited in Super Brown

More young men should work on old cars.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk