News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 11:28:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: TAC shut-off flap  (Read 1153 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
TAC shut-off flap
« on: October 12, 2019, 03:21:31 PM »
My Eagle is missing the vacuum actuated 'shut-off flap' at the base of the air cleaner snorkle.  I still have the vacuum actuator, but the dohickey inside the snorkel is completely gone.

I would like to get this working again, because I have to crank the engine a long time if it sits more than a day, and I think the problem is fuel is evaporating from the carb bowls.  Sealing off the snorkel throat when the engine is off should help with that.

I don't expect I'll be able to find the flap anywhere, but I would make one if I knew what it looks like.  The TSM does not show the stuff inside the snorkel.  My actuator terminates in a bent loop of wire about 3/4 " long, which I suppose hooks up to the flap mechanism.

Does anyone know of a good diagram or picture of the flap?  Or know where I can get one?

Thanks in advance,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: TAC shut-off flap
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
One photo is from inside the air box looking down the snorkel, one is looking into the snorkel towpaths air filter and the last is of the actuator mechanism.
Hope these help.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: TAC shut-off flap
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2019, 03:03:15 PM »
Thanks for the pics, Taylor.  They're just what I needed.

There's a chance that my original flap is wedged somewhere in the bottom of my engine bay (I think it might have fallen off months ago when I last removed my air cleaner).  I'm going to jack her up and make one last search of the undercarriage for the flap.  If I can't find it, I know enough now to make one.

Thanks again,
JB
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk