News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 12:37:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What valve cover gaskets are you guys using?  (Read 6116 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
What valve cover gaskets are you guys using?
« on: April 02, 2013, 02:05:21 PM »
I've got two 258 powered vehicles with aftermarket aluminum valve covers and they're both currently leaking. About 2 years ago my mechanic put the new valve cover in the Eagle with a cork gasket and it never really set 100%.

I'm not crazy about the cork gaskets, is there anything else out there you guys have had good luck with? I will be doing this myself so it's done right this time.
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
Re: What valve cover gaskets are you guys using?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2013, 02:32:01 PM »
I have always used the cork, someone may have had better luck with something else

I am also VERY liberal with the RTV stuff, both sides. Plus I have found it helpful to let everything cure for a day before running it

AND, the biggest thing is not to tighten the bolts too much, its very hard to resist cranking them just a little more, at least for me it is, I just get them barely snug

Has worked on every AMC I have ever owned and they dont leak!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2013, 02:35:10 PM »
I have a clifford aluminum valve cover and I know they recommend not using a rubber gasket because it can cause the valve cover to crack when you're tightening it down.  I used a cork gasket but I only have 1000km on my car since the motor was rebuilt.

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2013, 12:32:46 PM »
I prefer the cork as well. A tip I have is to clean the mating surfaces well, use denatured alcohol to remove all the oil from them before applying RTV. Then you fit everything together and wait 24 hours before tightening it down.

Oil and RTV are enemies.

NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2013, 04:40:17 PM »
When I had 258 powered cars I ran no gasket and the right stuff nice solid bead made it work.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2013, 05:50:48 PM »
I prefer the cork as well. A tip I have is to clean the mating surfaces well, use denatured alcohol to remove all the oil from them before applying RTV. Then you fit everything together and wait 24 hours before tightening it down.

Oil and RTV are enemies.

I'm guessing the dude I had put this valve cover on didn't prep it right. I usually go overkill on the prep work for cork gaskets.

When I had 258 powered cars I ran no gasket and the right stuff nice solid bead made it work.

I've heard good things about that stuff. Where do you get it and is it pricey?

Offline greymarooneightytwo

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2013, 07:16:36 PM »
I also discarded the cork gasket that came with my valve cover and used "the right stuff".

No leaks.

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2013, 08:58:44 PM »

Oil and RTV are enemies.

I'm guessing the dude I had put this valve cover on didn't prep it right. I usually go overkill on the prep work for cork gaskets.

I've heard good things about that stuff. Where do you get it and is it pricey?

You can get it at most parts stores. Its more spring than typical etc but isn't bad when you consider you're not buying the gasket. I seem to remember the small caulk style tube being like $20
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2013, 09:53:48 PM »
First after cleaning the head I applied a bead of the right stuff on the head and then placed the cork gasket on top of it.I then put a bead on the aluminum valve cover and placed it down on top of the gasket. I found it a lot easier to put the gasket on the head verses trying to put it on the valve cover first and then trying to position in over the rocker arms without messing up the gasket. Once I had the valve cover in place I put the bolts in finger tight then used a quarter inch socket set to snug the bolts plus a quarter turn. That was six or eight months ago and although the eagle has not been driven sense then it has been running several times and have had no leaks. I do think that the right stuff is a little pricey but hey you get what you pay for and in this case and every other case that I have used it ,it works so I'm not complaining.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2013, 01:52:04 PM »
I prefer the cork as well. A tip I have is to clean the mating surfaces well, use denatured alcohol to remove all the oil from them before applying RTV. Oil and RTV are enemies.

I really think that's the key.  When we did mine we made absolutely certain all the old silicon was removed and cleaned the head and valve cover with paint solvent/gun wash prior to laying down fresh silicon and putting it together.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2013, 02:01:01 AM »
I used the Right Stuff before I broke my shoulder and never had problems with it. I tried 3 times to seal my current Clifford cover with it and couldn't, so I ground off the lip and used a cork gasket. No leaks anymore!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
After reading the responses I'm thinking I'll go with that "right stuff" and no gasket.

Any other advice besides a ton of prep work?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk