News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 08:32:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Harmonic Balancer- 88 same as 84?  (Read 1918 times)

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Harmonic Balancer- 88 same as 84?
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:04:05 PM »
Well, I need a Harmonic Balancer... I am not able to find a harmonic balancer for an 88 Eagle 258. 

The Dorman Catalogue lists Harmonic Balancers for all years up to 84.  I am not aware of any differences after that.  Will this part work on an 88? 

Thanks,

Jesse

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Harmonic Balancer- 88 same as 84?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:42:32 PM »
Is your 88 serpentine or v-belt? I don't know of any differences besides the belt configuration. However, I would try to find an alternative to the Dorman product if possible. I have heard of failures in short time with Dorman balancers. Damper Doctor is an option, however I haven't used them. http://www.damperdoctor.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=DD&Product_Code=AMC2581&Category_Code=AMC

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline j2sax

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
Re: Harmonic Balancer- 88 same as 84?
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 01:02:38 AM »
It is a V Belt configuration.   Don't know if that means it's the .33 shorter crank snout or not. 

Thanks for your help so far!  Appreciate the warning concerning Dorman quality. 

Have a great week,

Jesse

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk