News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 05:59:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ECM Test bypass  (Read 2918 times)

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
ECM Test bypass
« on: August 18, 2012, 06:06:43 PM »
How can I tell easy if this has been done? I bought the car last year and am in the middle of putting my tranny back in and would like to know if there is a easy way to tell. They guy who originally owned it was so perfect about things, he could of changed all the wiring and still put them back into factory wire wrap  :P

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
Re: ECM Test bypass
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2012, 10:52:26 PM »
Someone may have a better answer for you but I believe the car will not start if the ECM is disconnected, when its not bypassed. So you could try disconnecting it, if it starts, it's been bypassed, if not, it's probably still original. Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 11:39:16 AM by ammachine390 »
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2012, 11:00:06 PM »
The wires coming out of the dizzy will be wired in around the ECM. If they are still going up into the loom somewhere father away from the ECM then it's probably original.

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2012, 12:20:11 AM »
im sorry but what is coming out of the dizzy?

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2012, 12:21:28 AM »
I believe it is a purple wire and an orange wire. They were wrapped around each other on mine.

This might help. I shot this awhile back to show how I had to do the ECM by pass on my 83.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDii9tOKHC4&feature=youtube_gdata_player
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:08:21 AM by Prafeston »

Offline 84eaglelmz

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2012, 12:40:18 AM »
thank you so much! i will be sure to look tomorrow asap!

Offline masternull

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2012, 10:12:44 PM »
went to do this today and it looks like my eagle was already wired this way... ?

the orange, black, and purple wires go thru the wiring loom, they go directly from the ICM to the distributor, they do not head into the firewall area,

its a 1981 eagle kammback, CA emissions, AT, AC.

check it out:

guess i dont need to do the ECM Test bypass huh...

Offline ammachine390

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 42
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 12:37:27 AM »
All 81 models do not have computer controlled ignition timing. So there are no wiring modifications to take the ECM out of the loop.
Dan
1981 AMC Concord DL 258 Auto

Click for Villa_Park, IL Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk