News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 07:16:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just an update.  (Read 20850 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: just an update.
« Reply #45 on: February 01, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
Good luck just finding another t-top turbo laser. Those things are probably more rare than an Eagle.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #46 on: February 01, 2014, 02:24:20 PM »
It's the color mostly.  And with any other car, the condition is key too.  Not that they grow on trees or anything, but as the laser was the higher end model, you find more of the optioned out cars.    The color on the other hand they only made for like 1 of the 3 years.  I'm bummed, but I'm perfectly happy getting an eagle.  I also decided that while picking it up, witch should be happening on the 9th, I'm stopping at Kenosha if I can. 

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #47 on: February 09, 2014, 11:31:57 PM »
God this seems like the place to post my dumb car buying story until it becomes a story.  My biggest problem with this eagle is that he doesn't answer his phone.  And I'm not saying right away.  It takes forever.  I'll text him, and I MIGHT get a text in a week.  so it's very hard to plan around something that you don't know anything about.  You'd think if you're trying to sell something, you'd answer your phone every once in a while.  I assume a sound annoyed, and I am to an extent, but who wouldn't be.  but anyway, I didn't get it this weekend, hopefully next weekend.  but if it's not done next weekend, I'm not getting it.  I found a Datsun 280zx  for the right price, and I love those cars too.  I'm still hoping for the eagle, and want that one so much more, but like it's been said before with that laser, it's hard to compete with a car that looks like this...
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200705/1979-nissan-z-cars-second-8_600x0w.jpg

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #48 on: February 11, 2014, 12:54:59 PM »
Are you only texting the guy? Or are you actually calling him? Some people would much rather get a call than have to keep texting someone.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2014, 05:48:17 PM »
Calling too. I've given him the option of texting or calling.  I I'm probably waiting another two weeks, so it gives him more time.  anyone that has before, how long did it take you to put in a new motor?  I mean approximate hours, because it's obviously off and on that he's working on it.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2014, 11:44:47 PM »
Good luck just finding another t-top turbo laser. Those things are probably more rare than an Eagle.

Still running you mean? I worked on those things and got tired of pulling the head only to find it's cracked.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2014, 08:54:44 AM »
that's the problem with 80's Chrysler/Dodge cars.  they put a turbo in anything they could, and they were very temperamental.  The key is to find one treated nice.  My general opinion is that a car with high miles, driven by a grandpa,  is better than a car with low miles, driven by some teenager who doesn't appreciate it. (E-brake drifting, to much turbo, ect.)  It also helps that generally the older you are, the more likely you are to know how to fix a car. 

I'm not trying to say that this seller is a bad guy by any means, everyone is busy.  It's just tiring business.  I really hope it works out with the eagle.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2014, 12:53:25 PM »
Just give him some time. It's the middle of the winter. Know one wants to be working on a car in a cold garage or outside this time of year!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2014, 09:38:10 PM »
I know, I've reminded him that I'm ok with waiting, because I know very much what the weather is like up here.  I'm trying to be as polite and patient as I can, but it gets hard waiting.  All I have is pictures, and I can't just keep looking at those.  maybe I could ask for new pictures, and remind him that I can be patient. :P 
after all, I try to keep in mind, He's doing me a huge favor, putting it back together.  I'd be paying big bucks if not.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2014, 11:09:22 AM »
You'd think if you're trying to sell something, you'd answer your phone every once in a while...  I found a Datsun 280zx  for the right price, and I love those cars too.  I'm still hoping for the eagle, and want that one so much more, but like it's been said before with that laser, it's hard to compete with a car that looks like this...
http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/200705/1979-nissan-z-cars-second-8_600x0w.jpg

Yes, those 280ZXs are super nice cars.  I bought one to restore and then decided to get a Corvette and sold the 280 - still not sure I made the right choice.

Before I bought the 280ZX I was looking at an 84 Celica Supra.  I got a look at it when it was in a garage for a starter surrounded by cars 1 foot away but wanted a chance to put it on the hoist at home and look it over better and the guy said he'd call me back when I could do it.  Time went by, I called again, left messages, and he still wouldn't give me a time or return my calls.  I eventually gave up.  Makes you wonder why people bother advertising a car if they can't be bothered to let someone look at it.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:59 PM »
I figure if they're trying to hide something, it's not worth looking at anyway.  That's why I prefer buying something where it lists all the problems (with pictures).  If the seller tells you the problems instead of hiding them, you're probably going to have a good sale.

I'm probably so impatient because of my last encounter.  I drove there, (entire day, there and back) and just before I bought it, he said he had just registered it, and the title was still in the mail.  his wife said it'd been a week or so, maybe it's in the mailbox.  He said he didn't want to go out to check!

So I left there empty handed.  then a few weeks went by, and I called him and he said he sold the car.

I was annoyed, but who knows, probably for the better.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:38 PM »
I always go with cash in pocket and then crawl all around and under the car; then talk AMC 101 or if an AMC'ER level 404 and then we get down to the actual price.  My latest, the Ambo I got for a thousand less than asking and he threw extra stuff in with the deal because he and I both knew it would not work on his AMX.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk