News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:05:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a cast aluminum transmission pan for the TF998?  (Read 9001 times)

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Is there a cast aluminum transmission pan for the TF998?
« on: January 10, 2018, 11:59:19 PM »
So my automatic transmission has been leaking ever since I got the car on the road.  I recently tried tightening the bolts a little (the didn't seem at all snug to me) and it may now be leaking worse.

Do you know if anyone makes a cast aluminum pan for the Torque Flight 998?  I'm thinking that would do the trick.

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
Re: Is there a cast aluminum transmission pan for the TF998?
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 01:44:06 AM »
Hey Priya long time no see. I'm not entirely sure if they still do but the last I checked Summit Racing does make one it's bit deeper than the ones we use but I think the one they sell actually comes with the extension so you can lower your transmission filter as well.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:03:50 AM »
Mopar sells a nice steel deep pan, I have two of them, good luck, gz    ask for 904/998 pan

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:33:42 AM »
To answer your question about the aluminum trans pan yes there is a aluminum trans pan and I got mine from Summit and for sure its a dandy. Its deeper then stock and came with a filter extention. I installed it bout a year or so ago and it looks and fit perfect. I call it my sexy trans pan. After several attempts to get the stock pan to quit leaking I installed a deep steel pan and it still leaked so finally got tired of that and sprang for the aluminum one from Summit. After install and although it looked great it still leaked or so I thought. After much investigating it turn out to be the shift shaft seal that had been leaking all this time and not the trans pan at all. My advice to you is make sure its not your shift shaft seal leaking like mine was. Its a simple two dollar seal and its right above the trans pan on the drivers front side and when it leaks it drips off the drivers side and drivers side front of the trans pan making it appear to be the trans pan leaking. I got a remove and install tool and a pack or four seals off ebay for less the forty dollars delivered. Took less then a hour to change and didn't even have to drop my sexy new aluminum trans pan to change it. But again to answer your question if your looking for a deep aluminum trans pan then yeah Summit has your fix. Hope this helps.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 02:37:55 PM »
And if you go with the aluminum pan, use the MOPAR reusable hard plastic O-ringed gasket.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2018, 08:05:56 PM »
To answer your question about the aluminum trans pan yes there is a aluminum trans pan and I got mine from Summit and for sure its a dandy. Its deeper then stock and came with a filter extention. I installed it bout a year or so ago and it looks and fit perfect. I call it my sexy trans pan. After several attempts to get the stock pan to quit leaking I installed a deep steel pan and it still leaked so finally got tired of that and sprang for the aluminum one from Summit. After install and although it looked great it still leaked or so I thought. After much investigating it turn out to be the shift shaft seal that had been leaking all this time and not the trans pan at all. My advice to you is make sure its not your shift shaft seal leaking like mine was. Its a simple two dollar seal and its right above the trans pan on the drivers front side and when it leaks it drips off the drivers side and drivers side front of the trans pan making it appear to be the trans pan leaking. I got a remove and install tool and a pack or four seals off ebay for less the forty dollars delivered. Took less then a hour to change and didn't even have to drop my sexy new aluminum trans pan to change it. But again to answer your question if your looking for a deep aluminum trans pan then yeah Summit has your fix. Hope this helps.

Thanks for that.  I'll have another look, it did seem that more was dripping from the driver's side of the pan, but perhaps more from the rear of the pan than the front.  The transmission fluid leaks out mostly when the car is sitting, would it do this if it was the shift shaft seal?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 08:08:52 PM by priya »

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2018, 08:07:36 PM »
Hey Priya long time no see. I'm not entirely sure if they still do but the last I checked Summit Racing does make one it's bit deeper than the ones we use but I think the one they sell actually comes with the extension so you can lower your transmission filter as well.

Yes, its been a while maddog, good to be back.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 08:09:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions everyone!

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 09:10:23 AM »
priya, Most definitely it will leak while sitting. In fact that's when it leaks its worst and the longer it sits the worse it leaks. Mine was so bad that I kept a old trans pan under it to catch all the fluid before I finally located the seal leaking. Not telling you what to do but for sure I'd double check that seal before doing the trans pans gasket change thing. But then again if you do go with the aluminum pan you will end up with the sexy-est trans pan on the planet.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 01:39:02 PM »
So I looked under the various transmission pans on the Summit web site and I didn't find any that specifically said Torqueflite 998 (unless I missed it).  I did find a couple that were for a Torqueflite A-904.  Will a transmission pan for a Torqueflite A-904 fit a Torqueflite 998?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 01:40:19 PM by priya »

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 03:37:28 PM »
pirya, Mine is a TCI but don't remember where I purchased it from weather it was ebay or amazon or summit. Remember it was not cheap but at that point and time I really didn't care as I'd had my fill of that leak so price was not a big issue to me. Turned out not my issue at all but man what a cool trans pan I have. If I remember correctly its part # was 128001. Think that was it. Do remember I had to loosen the cross member and remove the skid plate from the transfer case and it was still a tight fit due to the added depth of the pan.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 03:39:04 PM »
So I looked under the various transmission pans on the Summit web site and I didn't find any that specifically said Torqueflite 998 (unless I missed it).  I did find a couple that were for a Torqueflite A-904.  Will a transmission pan for a Torqueflite A-904 fit a Torqueflite 998?
From what I understand, the 998 is just a lockup converter version of the 904.  Both transmissions share the same non-4X4 and lockup specific parts.  I once made a 998 into a non-locker by using the input shaft, valve body, and torque converter from a 904.  The pan is the same.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 07:15:37 PM »
As rollguy said the pan is the same. Does that pan have a drain plug? Just maybe swap the magnet to the new pan than your good. I would ask your better half to also replace the shifter o ring. I cannot remember how to do so however. That knowledge is gone from me.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 07:20:24 PM by mudkicker715 »

Manitowoc WI

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 12:00:54 AM »
hi, yes the 904 and 998 are more or less the same trans. the 998 is the HD version of the 904. same pan. The aluminum ones are nice, but I personally prefer the deep steel pan from Mopar, your local Chrysler dealer. Reason being that if you hit a , say, big rock, with it, a steel pan will dent, and still get you home, while an aluminum one will crack, and its game over. good luck, gz

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 11:31:22 AM »
pirya, Mine is a TCI but don't remember where I purchased it from weather it was ebay or amazon or summit. Remember it was not cheap but at that point and time I really didn't care as I'd had my fill of that leak so price was not a big issue to me. Turned out not my issue at all but man what a cool trans pan I have. If I remember correctly its part # was 128001. Think that was it. Do remember I had to loosen the cross member and remove the skid plate from the transfer case and it was still a tight fit due to the added depth of the pan.

Thanks.  I still haven't re-installed my skid plate from when I had it off to remove the driver's seat or some such thing.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk