News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:50:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just an update.  (Read 20766 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: just an update.
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2014, 09:41:36 PM »
Well thanks. I sure hope it can get straightened out soon so I can start driving it some!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2014, 09:48:31 PM »
I just started browsing old pages again, and recently revisited this page, http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2013/08/junkyard-find-1982-amc-eagle-sx4-sport/  I didn't realize there was a blue sport.  If I painted it, I think I would have to paint it blue like this, or black, like this  http://cdn1.flipacars.com/photos/AMC/24/5b/19132_amc-eagle-sx-4-flickr-photo-sharing.jpg
once I saw that one, I liked it instantly.  possibly one of the coolest paint jobs I've seen, in my opinion.

I hope you can drive it around too.  I really like your eagle, and would love to hear about some stories.  and I know you have a youtube channel, and I love seeing videos!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2014, 10:18:41 PM »
I think we decided that Blue on the Sport SX/4 was someone elses doing. There was no "electric" blue in the Eagle lineup. I have seen that other decal before though and I even saved the photo on my phone because it might be something I'd be interested in with my car. The one I saw was on a Spirit though.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2014, 10:19:46 PM »
pretty certain i looked at that milwaukee clisted sx/4 years back. if that is the case it is/has been moved from one property to another. i didn't think it was worth the headache than. not certain about now. again if it is the same one.

Manitowoc WI

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2014, 10:27:39 PM »
Yeah, and I don't know what you guys think, but I don't think I'd pay "2000, FIRM"  for it.    that's wierd, I thought it looked pretty old/faded like the rest.  must've been done a long time ago.  I'm really diggin' that blue with the decal.. Maybe I'll combine the 2, and do that.  looks really cool. wierd that it's so unfaded and rusted away compared to the rest of the car.  especially because it goes right through the bad area.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2014, 10:29:17 PM by youngkyle »

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2014, 11:16:43 PM »
Amazing what a text can do. I don't really get a lot of contact with the eagle guy, but I shot him a text and he responded, saying he's making progress, but the weather has been making it hard.  Anyway we talked and he said he'd put as much progress into it as possible, and hopefully I'll own it by the 9th.  Much happier now,  and Again I can't wait.  Part of the reason I started looking for a laser is because it's really hard thinking every weekend that that weekend you're going to have a car, and then it not happening.  it's a lot of hope and stress weighing down on your shoulders.  As bummed as I am about that laser,  ("gunmetal blue with pearl and vibrant silver" ground effects was quite rare, and it had t tops and a turbo, with low mileage, that's quite a package)  I wanted the eagle so much more.  Honestly it's much harder finding a nice eagle now and in the future than any sports car.  so to wrap up this dumb post, soon I will hopefully be using this forum for what it's really for, not just for bothering eagle owners with stupid questions.   ;D

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2014, 11:25:18 PM »
hopefully be using this forum for what it's really for, not just for bothering eagle owners with stupid questions.   ;D
What are you talking about...that is what this forum is for  :rotfl:

Be patient man. Hope you can get that Eagle on the 9th. I've been there though. I always sell my old car before buying a new one and when you don't have a backup it gets annoying. The car I own now I had been without a car for 2 months and finally I had 2 guys I was going to meet in St. Louis (Almost a 2 hour drive) and I told my mom that I was coming home with one of those cars! :)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2014, 11:34:51 PM »
I mean I want to use it to be helpful or post good stories or eagle fixing related questions.  I guess this is what it's for, but I feel like I've been poluting the forum with dumb questions and non eagle posts...   by the way, about that blue, if it's not stock, whats with this?
April 2005 – amcman and his Hot SX/4
found on ROTM.  or was that just not stock on sports.  I have nothing to do but be patient, I'm so picky about cars, I won't buy anything I don't deem cool.  maybe it's bad for me, but it's prevented me from giving up on what still seems like a promising  eagle, for a rusted out auto trans subaru or 2. 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2014, 12:43:39 AM »
There were a couple different AMC blues that the Eagles were done up with, but none of them are the really bright blue like that one found in the JunkYard. Most of them were a darker blue or a lighter baby blueish grey.

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2014, 01:22:24 AM »
Just going to chime in here.

Be patient  if you rush in to buy something you really didn't want, then you end up waiting a few more years because you wont be able to justify selling and buying again so soon.  The only thing I can say different about that is the color.  When it comes the a rare car, you really shouldn't be too picky about the color.  It is a pleasure just to be able to own an Eagle.  The ones you are looking at look like they could use fresh paint anyway.   

When I bought my SX/4 I had been driving by it for several months.  It was parked in the ditch on the side of the road with a for sale sign in the window.  I fell in love with the car but kept telling myself I couldn't afford it.  I didn't even know how much the guy wanted for the car but if it was sitting for sale that long it had to be over priced.    After about 6 months, I finally stopped a wrote down the phone number on the sign and went home.  I called the number and asked the guy how much he was asking for the car.  He was shocked that I called, he said the car was $1,500 negotiable.  And he said I was the 1st person to call him about the car.   He explained that he had bought the car from the 1st owner and the engine was making a weird noise and he is not a mechanic so he just wanted to get rid of the car.  It had 69,000 original miles on it, original AMC floor mats, sun roof, CB/radio, original spare tire, jack and spare tire cover, rear wiper and defroster, factory A/C, 5 speed T5, Factory Fog lights, Everything works all in amazing shape.  We met at the car and I had $1200 cash in my pocket.  I looked the car over and fired up the engine and sure enough a loud noise came from the engine.  I turned and offered him the $1200, and he accepted.  I drove the car home and put in a new water pump.  The noise was the water pump bushing going out, causing a howling sound. 

One thing you have to remember.  "Money Talks"  Don't ever hash out a deal with somebody and then not have the money to follow up the deal.  A seller hates that.  If you are asking less that the seller is asking, try having the money in your pocket all in smaller bills like $20's.  Many times people are selling because they have to.  Spread that money out on the table, when they see it is real, it is easier for them to mentally see that ($1200 of something is way more than $1500 of nothing.)

I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2014, 12:24:31 PM »

One thing you have to remember.  "Money Talks"  Don't ever hash out a deal with somebody and then not have the money to follow up the deal.  A seller hates that.  If you are asking less that the seller is asking, try having the money in your pocket all in smaller bills like $20's.  Many times people are selling because they have to.  Spread that money out on the table, when they see it is real, it is easier for them to mentally see that ($1200 of something is way more than $1500 of nothing.)

That's kinda the way my friend buys things (cars mostly).  He hands the seller a wad of cash (usually less than the asking price) and says "if that isn't enough, hand it back".  He has rarely had anyone hand back the cash.  Just having the wad of cash in their hands makes them want to keep it.
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2014, 12:45:20 PM »
that's funny.  I don't think I could  do that.  I'm not really a outspoken guy, I usually try to be respectable and although I know I should, I find it hard to negotiate a prce. It's easy online, it's another thing in person.  I do like that idea though.  I'm for sure getting a good price with this eagle though, I just get carried away with how much I like the cars.  Brings you down hard when it falls through.  But I'm happy as can be now, with that eagle.  my only problem is I got more messages about a daytona last night.   :banghead: :banghead:

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2014, 03:28:15 AM »
Don't forget, the seller has already figured in the negotiation.   He is asking $2000 for a car he has already decided he will take $1500 for. He already knows a good buyer is going to ask for less.  He has already talked to his friends, wife, or looked it up on ebay and has seen what they are selling for and has bumped up the price to account for the negotiation cushion.   If you jump in at $2000, he is laughing all the way to the bank because he got top dollar without negotiation.  A good deal is when both parties walk away feeling like they got a deal. 

And it is respectable if you are respectful.  If he wont come down to your price, he should understand you have a budget.  Also, be polite, don't tell him its junk and not worth what he is asking.  He may call you in a week when he doesn't get any more lookers.   If you haven't insulted him he may still be willing to do business with you.

I bought a 1975 Harley from its original owner.  the guy was asking $4000 for it.  the guy before me offered him $3500 because he said it wasn't worth $4000, the seller was insulted and sent the guy packing.  I came in looked at the bike and asked the price, when the seller told me, I smiled and told him the bike was beautiful and worth the asking price.  I thanked him for letting me look but my budget was $2500.  He thanked me and sold me the bike for $2500
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2014, 11:44:40 AM »
I know its blasphemy, but I'd take that blue/silver laser turbo t-top car over an eagle.  That thing is incredibly gorgeous, I'd love to have it.

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #44 on: February 01, 2014, 12:45:47 PM »
I would too honestly, but unless a miracle happens by Monday, it sold to someone locally.  I'd love to have it, but It's such a slim chance that something would happen.  the problem is that I doubt I'll find another turbo laser with t tops in that color.  and now that i've seen that color, I don't want just any red or white (the 2 most popular colors) one.  kind of sucks. 
I'm aware of money negotiations, (sorry if this upsets someone) but we call  my mom the "jew-queen."    you have to remember that even though I know this, This is my first car that I'm negotiating all by my self.  I'm taking my brother with me, but I'd like it if my dad would come.  I have thought of the money thing too.  I know if it's 2000, I'd say 1500.  then I take into the fact that it's been for sale for a while (a few months, and I take that into consideration.  I also know to look for rust and whatnot, and a pre buying inspection. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk