News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 10:09:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Life outside of AMC  (Read 8345 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Life outside of AMC
« on: September 30, 2013, 08:34:41 PM »
We all have AMC's in common but we all know there are more things to life than just our AMC's. So here's one of those types of threads.
Inquiring minds want to know, what do you do for fun and/or as a hobby?

I'll start...
I get bored or one might say side-tracked fairly easily so I bounce around quite a bit. But I play games on-line, pc & console. Currently been sidetracked with GTA V. I use to go horseback riding when I had a horse but sold the (big) horse, one day I might have another.  I also picked up knitting recently & work on that occasionally as well. Due to getting bored/side-tracked I have done quite a bit of different things throughout the years as hobbies (geocaching, various crafting, hiking, collecting items, guitar, refurb items, etc.)  and have never been great at any one thing, yet to find my niche' & what makes me truly happy.

Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Life outside of AMC
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2013, 10:46:59 PM »
Besides AMC and being recently retired I have started a fb page about a local, now defunct, interurban railroad which I work on during the cold months and then I plan, using AMC power, to do a photo documentation of what remains of the roadbed and structures.  Here is the fb page:  https://www.facebook.com/wcfandn
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2013, 12:05:40 AM »
Jeeps and working on building a house where my cabin is, unless I sell it and move closer to my grandkids.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2013, 07:10:59 AM »
Interesting topic!

well, I'm 45, first-time homeowner, and the house is nice but the last owner didn't do much in the way of maintenance.  I'm playing catchup now.  Nothing serious (except for the ductwork) just a lot of little things.

I used to volunteer a lot, but now I just volunteer on a casual basis with my AMC car club. 
I've been married for 4 years now - My first time at that also.
I just started an apprenticeship as a Boilermaker/fitter (large pressure vessels)
Love animals, and I try to do as much as I can for animal shelters (cats and dogs) mostly the Meow Foundation (non-kill)
I used to game online allot, but I got fed up with the hackers/cheaters
Now that I actually have a garage, I can get more serious with my eagle.

I guess that's it...

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2013, 08:02:53 AM »
Interesting topic!
Agreed!

I'm 60+, married 30 years, two kids (both grown) and one grandchild; raised in Chicago and Denver; now a truck & bus mechanic, have been a truck driver, shop supervisor, small business owner; like to fish if the opportunity presents itself. :eagle:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 02:48:58 PM by eaglebeek »
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 03:40:50 AM »
I play games on-line, pc & console. Currently been sidetracked with GTA V.
I too have been a little to distracted with the game (i'm on ps3). as for other things I like watching tv shows late at night, playing with rc cars. and fishing if I ever get the chance. I also happen to be finishing up my hornet class racecar.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 11:41:26 AM »
I guess the Den is the place to be know. A couple years ago, I got back into off road motorcycling after being away from it for close to 30 years. It's all I think about mostly. My ride is a 2011 Husqvarna WR300.

Here's one from a trip to Moab, UT back in May

I usually don't post pics of  myself on the net, but here is from a ride in Colorado.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2013, 11:47:27 AM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 03:19:05 PM »
Besides AMC and being recently retired I have started a fb page about a local, now defunct, interurban railroad which I work on during the cold months and then I plan, using AMC power, to do a photo documentation of what remains of the roadbed and structures.  Here is the fb page:  https://www.facebook.com/wcfandn
OOOH! Lots of fun. Until about 1948 there were steam-powered narrow gauge railroads in and out of Denver, all going to mountain communities like Central City, Black Hawk, Georgetown and into South Park southwest of Denver. They flourished until paved roads were laid and automobiles took over.

All that's left of those early roads now are stretches of old grade and the 4-1/2 mile Georgetown Loop, rebuilt starting around 1974 and now operating as a tourist attraction.

In March 2013 the local transit authority opened a light-rail line from downtown Denver to Golden on the old Denver and Interurban Railroad grade. With that it appears transportation modes have come full circle.
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2013, 04:12:58 PM »
Good to hear the old roadbed is being used at it was intended.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline ISOAR

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2013, 10:52:46 PM »
Archery and riding my trike used to consume a lot of my spare time up until I broke my left shoulder 2 years ago. A couple of surgeries and a lot of healing later I am just barely able to pull my bow again. The good news is as long as I keep working at it, I keep improving.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 03:08:56 AM »
I love anything with wheels basically. I have been into Mountain Bikes, Road Bikes, Motorcycles, Scooters, longboards, roller blading. I'm currently on a pretty big Hot Wheels kick. I've always loved them since I was a kid. And I went through a period in HS '03-'04. Where I bought at least 1 Hot Wheels everytime I was in Walmart. I stopped doing that after I graduated and now in the last 6 months I've gotten pretty heavy into it. I probably own over 300 HWs still on the card and several loose.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2014, 10:04:37 AM »
Music is my big thing besides cars.  I'm kind of late getting into the scene, but I sing, play guitar, and bass, and am also taking piano lessons.  Its amazing what a struggle it is to get a band together and keep it together, like a never ending process.  But its a lot of fun when it comes together.

Here is a (crappy) video of one of my bands from back in August, performing a song from back in the days when AMC was going strong

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fF942HNr31c
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2014, 02:11:39 PM »
I'm pretty much giving every moment of my day right now to work, ( i work at this high class restaurant called McDonald's, i don't know if you've heard of it.). I basically saved half of every check for a car and my soon to be eagle is what it's going for. So if that ever gets  to be mine, I'm hopefully going to be spending alot of time with that.  I was going to be going to collage for art and computer design for building and designing videogames, but somehow lost interest.  i switched my major to automotive, and will soon be slaving away my days in hopes of a better tomorrow.  :P 
I am going to be taking welding and stuff, so it's a great time for me to get an eagle!  I play alot of videogames, with my friends, (GTA v also, but on Xbox). Family I important to me so I try to spend  alot of time with them.  I don't really have a big hobby, I used to skate, I mountain bike, I go geocaching, but i mostly enjoy driving.  Just going on a cruise is my favorite thing. 

I'm getting my eagle soon,  and just a bit after that, I'm getting a 89 dodge Daytona.  Daytona decided since the eagle looks flassy in martin, it would ruin the look with louvers, but the dYtona has louvers  and t tops.  I also have an offroad bike (the kind with thick tires, the name escapes me. The bike is low and fat.) I'm fixing that up for the summer too.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2014, 02:52:00 PM »
My life (as far as hobbies are concerned) outside of AMC (Eagles only, 20+ I have owned) was for years collecting and using player pianos and rolls. Thus my handle "ROLLGUY".  I still have many instruments and MANY thousands of rolls left.  I am in the selling mode of the piano related hobby, as my newest (for the past 10 years) has been Mercedes Benz Diesel cars.  Years ago, I got one of the only  5 Turbodiesel Eagles that was made. I had heard that Diesel engines would run on waste vegetable oil, so I had planned on running the Eagle on WVO when I got it running.  However, a friend of mine told me I should not experiment with such a rare vehicle, and said I should find an inexpensive Diesel 'Benz to play with.  Over 26 'Benzs later, I am still involved.  I still have Eagles (3), but my main hobby focus has been on the acquiring, fixing, maintaining, driving, and selling (after I get tired of) 1977-1999 Diesel powered Mercedes Benz automobiles (even a 1977 motorhome!).....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2014, 03:48:37 PM »
Rollguy, got any Benz wagons for sale right now?
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2014, 04:04:56 PM »
Rollguy, got any Benz wagons for sale right now?
Sorry, no.  I have only owned 2 wagons (still have 1), and they are hard to find at a reasonable price.  However, if you are looking for one, So. Cal is one of the best places to find one.....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2014, 10:24:24 PM »
Outside of fixing AMC cars I spend a lot of time with my family, I have 4 kids from 22 down to 5! So that keeps me pretty busy

I also have two jobs, I work for a magazine publishing company  and as a part of that I put on log and timber home shows around the country, so I travel a lot.  In addition my wife and I own and operate two radio stations in our county, we live in a small county so it's not like "big city" radio mind you

In whatever spare time I have I remodel our house, we got a deal on it because it was a fixer upper, 7 years later I'm still fixing it. I'm pretty handy with a hammer, I built custom homes for 16 years before I got on the path I'm on now

I guess my other hobby is checking this forum!
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2014, 10:29:22 PM »
Music is my big thing besides cars.  I'm kind of late getting into the scene, but I sing, play guitar, and bass, and am also taking piano lessons.  Its amazing what a struggle it is to get a band together and keep it together, like a never ending process.  But its a lot of fun when it comes together.

Here is a (crappy) video of one of my bands from back in August, performing a song from back in the days when AMC was going strong

Cool! Big Cheap trick fan here, got the Live from Budakahn album on vinyl!,

Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2014, 12:01:40 PM »
Outside of my Eagle, I am 26 and I reside in Akron, Ohio. I sell New/Pre-Owned Mercedes-Benz's and Toyotas for the same dealership I have worked at since I was 16. In the winter, I hibernate or ski. In the summer, I enjoy my two jetskis and 17" outboard (I have to post a pic of that sometime), biking and hiking, and gardening. I can be found reading in any weather, but outside more in the summer vs inside in the winter, haha. The Eagle and work do take up a great chunk of time, however.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2014, 09:24:33 PM »

That was our emergency song, in case we got to the end of our set list but still had time to play.  That was only about the third time we'd played that song lol

Cool! Big Cheap trick fan here, got the Live from Budakahn album on vinyl!,
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk