News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:10:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bug Out vehicle  (Read 12676 times)

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Bug Out vehicle
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2012, 12:51:58 AM »
The body ground helps the cage. My friend did Airforce 1 back in the day. Ground straps galore!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline TheWraith

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
A scenario like this might actually put the wife's two useless horses to doing some good.  If we end up eating them, I have three bicycles in the garage.  I imagine fuel will be impossible to find in a matter of days.

If diesel fuel was on hand, my brothers diesel '86 Chevrolet C30 doesn't need electricity to run.  Roll start it in third gear and then drive away.  Had to pull start it once with Dad's tractor when the batteries died, so I know it will roll start.  I love a 1-ton dually truck with a flatbed.  I use to own it before I sold it to him...I bought a '95 crew cab but it has all the electronic bits and pieces....not that I think an EMP would hurt it to be honest.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 07:15:07 AM by TheWraith »
I am what Willis was talking about.

Offline unpossible

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2012, 02:04:34 PM »
I've thought of making a bug out bag before, but then I realized that I'm slow. I'd get speared and someone would take my goodies.

I like the idea of a bike or a mule or horse, but what would you do for shelter?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2012, 03:14:38 PM »
I've thought of making a bug out bag before, but then I realized that I'm slow. I'd get speared and someone would take my goodies.

I like the idea of a bike or a mule or horse, but what would you do for shelter?
Blue tarps are too cheap. Get a canvas one (less visible too)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2012, 04:07:42 PM »

Blue tarps are too cheap. Get a canvas one (less visible too)

And Canvas doesn't break down in sunlight like 'plastic' tarps do.  Easier to paint 'camo' also!

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2012, 02:03:58 PM »
Making progress on my bug out vehicle now.  Picked up a 1978 Sunline 8'6" truck camper for a whopping $50 from cl.  It needed a good bit of cleaning up and some minor leaks need sealed up, but it's solid and will do the job.  It's the perfect size for my truck too, that's the biggest camper that anybody has ever hauled safely on a half ton truck, any of the newer ones of comparable size would be too heavy. 

As it sits right now it can be self contained for a good bit of time.  Propane furnace, electric heater, propane stove, propane/electric refrigerator, and 12v lights.  Even has a flushing toilet in it.  With this combination I can keep warm and cook without having to start a fire and creating smoke that can draw attention.  I have a source of free AGM batteries and will build up a good bank of them in the extra storage compartments, which can run the lights, water pump, operate radios and charge portable devices, and with a power inverter, pretty much run any household appliance like microwave ovens.  It may possibly even get a solar bank on the roof to help keep the batteries charged.

All of this sitting on the most reliable vehicle I've ever owned.  34 gallon fuel tank too.

Oh, and how will I protect myself, and hunt for food?  Got that covered.  This isn't even all that I have at the ready, just some of the favorites.  Got a crate of surplus 7.62 ammo just waiting for a rainy day, which works for both the AK47 and AR-15 (The AR was converted).

87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline jim

• Thumbs Up 102
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2012, 03:02:41 PM »
Hey, I may want to go with you when the ball drops.  I was going to make one recommendation: a simpler firearm to add to the heavy duty stuff, but I had overlooked the revolver.
I'm right 98% of the time, and I don't care about the other 3%.
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people;
that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."
--Thomas Jefferson to John Cartwright, 1824. ME 16:45
What part of "shall not be infringed" do they not understand?
08 Impala
01 Yukon 4X4
(There's more to life than fuel mileage)
83 Eagle wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
88 Eagle white woody wagon; shared responsibility as daily driver
86 wagon parts car
Click for Little Rock, AR Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #22 on: December 09, 2012, 03:54:08 PM »
 :o I think I'd tag along with you too WBoP.
I have a close sibling to your truck

'96 Chevy Silverado 5.7L Vortec (a.k.a major gas guzzler) 1/2 ton
Not much of a Chevy fan myself (this was my dad's when he passed), but can't complain haven't had much problems with it either. Does yours have the 5.7 Vortec?
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #23 on: December 09, 2012, 04:14:23 PM »
Mine has the 5.0 Vortec in it.  Not as rough on gas as the 5.7, and pulls nearly as well.  I average 15mpg and that's mostly a combination of short trips around town, and towing at highway speeds when we go 4 wheeling.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2012, 08:42:48 PM »
what's the bottom black pistol?  looks like a Browning HP.   Very good choice if it is.

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2012, 09:06:42 PM »
what's the bottom black pistol?  looks like a Browning HP.   Very good choice if it is.

Yes, that most certainly is a Browning Hi-Power.  That one used to be my dad's until he thinned out his collection.  One of my favorites.  I can't entirely explain why, but I like the way the Makarov above it shoots better though.  The Browning is more accurate though, and larger magazine, so it wins.  Not to mention finding the Makarov 9x18mm rounds isn't getting any easier lately, 9x19 is everywhere.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk