News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 12:13:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: LS2 Motor Swap  (Read 3288 times)

Offline LSEagleSX4

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
LS2 Motor Swap
« on: April 12, 2015, 06:16:42 PM »
hello,

I've got a 1981 SX4 with the 258 in it, with that motor being trash(bad crank,possiy a thrown rod) Instead of rebuilding the motor I've decided to put and LS2 into it, for roughly the same price of rebuilding the 258. After searching a little on the internet, there is hardly any help with doing this swap, I we wondering if y'all had any advice, or if you have done this swap before, anything helps and have a good day.

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
Re: LS2 Motor Swap
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2015, 06:43:16 PM »
Welcome to the Den. There isn't much help out there as its not been done a lot. There is a guy on the Den here that worked out the kinks to put a AMC V-8 in a Eagle and there is a guy around that had a LS3 (maybe) in his Eagle wagon. Eagles were designed around the 258 (and they slipped a 4 cylinder in there later). Besides the front axle bolting to the bottom of the engine, the engine is offset a couple inches to help with front end clearance. Pretty much expect to be reengineering a lot of that car and replacing a lot to get that chevy in there. Other routes you might want to consider are a Jeep 4.0 swap. FI 4.0 put out about 190 HP and they'll fit much easier. Could also make you a stroker 4.0 (4.0 engine with 258 crankshaft) for more power. You'll have option of running the fuel injection or putting a carb on it. If you plan on going the V-8 route, you'll be doing a lot of engineering to fit it right.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: LS2 Motor Swap
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
I had a 5.3L in an Eagle, but I didn't put it in. However, it had a solid front axle and the front suspension was 100% custom, so it won't pertain to a stock Eagle. I've got a buddy in Montana who is in the process of installing a 5.3L in his wagon and retaining the Eagle's front IFS. He doesn't post on here, but he is getting close to the end and will have solutions to the hurdles of installing one. PM me and I'll get you in contact with him. http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43826.msg342555#msg342555
« Last Edit: April 12, 2015, 07:04:46 PM by eaglefreek »
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk