News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 05, 2024, 01:00:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: On Eagles Wings  (Read 21266 times)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: On Eagles Wings
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2014, 07:23:06 PM »
I believe in '85 they moved to the single din style radios so if you can find one in your color out of an '85+ parts car you should be able to mount the newer style din radios in it.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2014, 01:10:54 AM »
I believe in '85 they moved to the single din style radios so if you can find one in your color out of an '85+ parts car you should be able to mount the newer style din radios in it.

that stiill would require some trimming to get a single newer din into that older din slot

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2014, 05:23:57 PM »
Make a double cup holder out of a block of wood and a router that will just fit between those "legs" but leave enough room for the shifter to hit first. Seat movement?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
If you can't find a matching one, you could paint it. The color codes for original trim are available.

The DIN radio pod is the way to do it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2014, 02:42:22 AM »
The din style verses modernized 2 knob style is my conundrum.  The din style is much easier to find swap out and cheaper but with all that now it makes it more appealing to a would be thief.  The 2 knob however that I'm looking at retains the old look and does essentially the same job just slightly higher cost maintains nostalgia and deters a bad guy cause who wants a old stupid radio. 

Yesterday I realized there is a console that looks suspiciously like what I'm building.  I must have subliminally seen one and built off the design.

Anyway today I got the fuel tank out to replace it and while in the area I figure I might as well stop any rust that could grow into a hole.  The car is fairly clean for being 30 yes old and coming from Jersey.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2014, 08:24:24 AM »
What do you plan on doing to the rust? Mine spent most of it's life in CO and was rust free until I brought it to TN. I guess the humid air is doing it's thing to the under carriage.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2014, 08:33:10 AM »
Convert what what I can sand blast the rest.  Spot repair over the next couple months.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #22 on: May 20, 2014, 10:11:41 AM »
Just as a regular maintenance item I try to get under the car at least a couple of times a year with a brush, some rust converting primer, and some spray on undercoating. Spraying out dirt and salt with the washer at the car wash is always a good idea beforehand.

At the same time you grease the joints and adjust the carb for the season is a good time. Even new cars where there are few real grease points benefit from a little love.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2014, 04:43:49 AM »
Has anyone here got a good source for the headliner material for my color interior? Apparently I need to fix that very next according to the Boss.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2014, 09:22:39 AM »
It looks like you have honey interior. I bought some material a couple years ago from theses guys http://www.wlsheadliners.com/headliner-color-chart.html.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2014, 03:09:23 PM »
What a nice car! This rust is no problem, spray Owatrolon it every year and it will last forever!

Anjo
Holland

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2014, 04:53:01 PM »
Funny question, what transmission fluid does this thing use?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2014, 05:04:16 PM »
Dexron III aka D/MIII
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2014, 06:27:20 PM »
That's what I was hoping.  Thanks man.

Happy 4th

Offline huggyb1972

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2014, 09:43:05 PM »
Well folks we are 111,000mi and it's running just fine. I took the new exhaust system the PO included with car and installed it without the cat and a quiet muffler now you have to wait for the noisy starter to stop before we can tell if the motor is running. lol

I did a oil change this morning finally I have a to go over the engine and look for leaks starting at the valve cover. While under the girl I found the ball joints are factory except for one the upper right side ball joint. Since the day we got the car there has been a creeky noise when turning or driving over bumps 2 shots of greaseI in the ball joint and no more noise. To bad none of the other joints in this thing have zero fittings.  I found a CV boot that has ruptured I would plan on replacing it, but I think the owner of the car wants a solid axle swap and larger tires.

I just so happen to have a great 8 lug axle I just took out of my Bronco.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk