News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 05:57:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Torque Converters.  (Read 72470 times)

Offline philotomy

• Northeast Kingdom, VT.Eagle
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
  • AMC guy 'till the day I die
Re: Torque Converters.
« Reply #60 on: July 05, 2012, 11:28:40 PM »
I may have spoken too soon,I can't seem to align the dowel pin and get it in contact with the motor,it's about a 1/2 inch out,may remove the transfer case to aid in aligning the trans  hopefully thats all she'll need,I'd hate to drop it down and find its the wrong converter,but if thats the case then I'll order the other,the input shaft is machined on this one from the 88 and not on the burned out 87,I 'll have to check out the website where it came from(Daaco)reman units from Tennessee (R -24 model)
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don
1987 Eagle station wagon 4.2 mpfi

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #61 on: July 05, 2012, 11:48:44 PM »
I looked on the Dacco site catalog and it lists the R 24 as the lo stall ,6 cyl. non lock up ( which is the part # on the box I have ) also has 2 slots on the shaft the catalog states the R 26 is a high stall ,6 cyl.lock up unit. and has no slots on the  shaft going over the input shaft
Philotomy,(my old  D+D Hobbit character) noun,pronounced "fil oto mee",but you can call me Don

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #62 on: July 06, 2012, 08:09:17 AM »
Unfortunately it looks like you may  have the wrong converter. You stated in a couple posts ago that the transmission you are using is a lock up transmission but the part number and description sounds like a non lock up converter. Someone must have changed the transmission in the 88 that you got it from, because everything I've read says 88 had non lockup converters. Good luck.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #63 on: July 06, 2012, 10:18:20 AM »
I know just my luck.It does appear to have serviced at some point,yeah prob swapped trans altogether.I think when the wife's ex visited he was looking at my trans out of the 87 which was smoked,the replacement has the machined end and the old converter I tossed had no cut outs in the shaft,so glad I found the online catalog ,now just have to take her out and get me a different converter. ::)

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #64 on: July 08, 2012, 12:43:56 AM »
Boy do I feel stupid...I went into the scap bin where I had dropped the replacement trans original converter,its definatley the r 24 with the cut outs on the shaft ,I'm taking the trans out again anyways and removing the t/c so whatever is holding me up will be dealt with accordingly :banghead:

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2012, 01:23:40 AM »
Maybe the converter wasn't all the way seated in? It should drag slightly when you turn it. 3 clunks in till it's all the way down or it drags when you spin it.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline philotomy

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
Yes that's what I figured.I looked into the input shaft area and saw the 2 spots where the tabs were supposed to be ,lined em up and she did make the 3 clunks.I tried it several times just to make sure

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #67 on: September 26, 2014, 04:22:50 PM »
So I know i've been experiencing some serious power loss.. I was picking my daughter up last night after work. i was standing on thepassenger side and i could hear the un-ending ticking coming from the car. Upon investigating i found out that the tick is actually coming from the under the engine Instead of the head like i thought.  So my question is Could a failing Torque Converter cause it to feel as if im running a 2 stroke engine under the hood of this 3400 lb beast? and if so where can i find one?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2014, 04:01:27 AM »
Motor revving and not picking up speed? Losing fluid? RPM related vibration that's slowly got worse? Converter issues or clogged filter.

If you have a vacuum front axle, it may be the viscous coupler you feel if the motor revs and car doesn't go. Could also be the cat fell apart inside and corked the muffler. (happened to me and ruined a brand new muffler!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #69 on: September 29, 2014, 01:51:06 PM »
Man hahaha thats right on the money..

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #71 on: September 30, 2014, 12:51:21 AM »
It should IF your trans is lockup. (top) vs non-lockup (bottom)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 12:51:57 AM by carnuck »

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #72 on: September 30, 2014, 02:00:34 PM »
Ok im pretty sure its lock up but ill have to double check on that!

Offline TEagle85

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #73 on: March 04, 2016, 04:16:33 PM »
Just to add to the topic. I have a 85 sedan that I pulled the trans out last night. It is a lockup converter. 

I know they are not at strong as non lock up.
Anyone know where to get a nice beefed up locking converter for the eagle. I heard look for a 80 Cherokee with towing package????   Any leads would be awesome.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2016, 06:24:11 PM »
The original ones were built with standard materials and most, but not all aftermarket ones are hardened steel and welding with no undercut for strength. You can bypass the lockup by putting a "plug" in the fluid line or adding a switch and using the newer valvebody where only the lockup is electrically controlled (like the one going onto my scrap pile from a pre '00 TJ or YJ)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk