News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 08:54:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Auto Transmission bolt mystery  (Read 930 times)

Offline jdeck5504

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
Auto Transmission bolt mystery
« on: January 09, 2024, 11:42:33 AM »
So I have inherited a 1980 AMC eagle station wagon and the motor was rebuilt and the transmission was almost rebuilt, I had finished rebuilding the transmission and now I’m lost to to how many bolts, thread and length of each bolt, and where each one goes, if anyone can give me some guidance it’d be appreciated cause this eagle needs to fly soon

Online AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Auto Transmission bolt mystery
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2024, 04:23:46 PM »
You talking just the bolt attaching the trans to the engine??   Or others?   I have specs for just about any bolt on the Eagle (via the AMC Standard Parts Catalog).
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jdeck5504

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2024, 06:19:48 PM »
Just the bell housing to engine block bolts, all the other I have an idea about since they were left alone pretty much

Online AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2024, 10:38:46 PM »
OK; per the catalogs:

The 5 bolts across the top are part number J4001885 "BOLT, Hex Head, with Conical Spring Washer".  Those are Grade 5 steel, 3/8"x16 thread, 2.19" length (measured from under the head to the end of the bolt), with a conical spring washer (you can use a Grade 5 flat washer if needed).

The 2 lower bolts are part number J4004370 "BOLT, Hex Head, with Conical Spring Washer".  Those are Grade 5 steel, 7/16"x14 thread, 2.75" length (measured from under the head to the end of the bolt), with a conical spring washer (you can use a Grade 5 flat washer if needed).  These will have a Grade 5 nut on the other end.

Hope this helps.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline jdeck5504

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2024, 03:45:21 PM »
Thanks, i now have each bolt in their spot and now im stuck trying to figure out the transmission mount layout as well as the best way to tighten down two if the top bolts towards the driver side

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2024, 11:26:56 AM »
You might be able to reach those top bolts from the top, but more likely you will need some extensions and a swivel joint and come in from the back.  Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Online MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2024, 12:58:27 PM »
Sorry for the hijack but how exactly do you torque the upper bolts during the reinstall? A torque wrench is almost useless on a U-joint and three feet of extensions.

Online AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2024, 03:03:57 PM »
I actually managed to use a torque wrench on those - once - not worth the trouble to do it again.   I used a 1/2 drive super-long extension, a short impact wiggle socket, with another impact wiggle under that socket.    Would almost make 90 degrees of bend!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2024, 07:33:32 PM »
I don't know why people on here give others so much grief about it, but I just used a 1" hole saw and cut 2 holes in the trans tunnel in the locations that corresponded with a straight socket/short extension "path" to the outer 2 of the upper 3 trans bolts.  Locating those holes needs to be done carefully if you go for that method.  You don't want to Swiss-cheese your tunnel/firewall. 

The end-result of the above is that all 3 of the top mount bolts can be accessed easily from inside the car with a socket and 6" extension.

After cleaning the holes up, closed them up with 1.25" rubber grommets (Dorman CTI 90306) and moved on with life.  I'm too old and too anal about achieving correct torque values on critical mountings than to spend my time contorting and using 3 feet of extensions to tighten those bolts.  In my case, I've had the engine/auto trans removed multiple times before finally going with a 5-speed, so it paid to make things easier.

But beware, if you do what I described and say so, there are many on this site that will consider you a failure for doing so.  It's apparently a rite of passage in the Eagle world to make life unnecessarily difficult on yourself.  ;D

David

I actually managed to use a torque wrench on those - once - not worth the trouble to do it again.   I used a 1/2 drive super-long extension, a short impact wiggle socket, with another impact wiggle under that socket.    Would almost make 90 degrees of bend!
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 07:34:20 PM by djm3452004 »
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Online AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2024, 09:19:27 PM »
BBWWWAAAAAhhhaaahahahahahahahahaaa.  Making life unnecessarily difficult on myself is what I do best!!   One of the 2 reasons I bought the Aston Martin - the other reason being that its the prettiest car I ever saw in my life!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7