News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 05:59:15 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Erratic Idle/fuel mileage/Timing  (Read 2683 times)

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Erratic Idle/fuel mileage/Timing
« on: January 18, 2019, 06:05:40 PM »
Hi all! Looking for any thoughts on this. So I adjusted my timing a while back and wasn't real sure I had it at the right spot (Didn't mark the proper marks ahead of time). It drove fine but was still only getting 15 mpg here at about 3000 feet elevation. I took it to front range Colorado and western Nebraska (4-5000 ft) and got 18-19 mpg. Came back home and went back down to 15. Maybe it could have to do with lack of wind or different fuel but think it had to do with timing.

I reset the timing a few days ago closer to the 6* that is stock and my idle sucked and i got about 12.5 mpg.

I reset it today to about 10* and haven't had a chance to test it out other than to make sure it ran. The idle still spikes randomly and it seemed like there were times that the timing would retard when I was setting it. It wasn't wavering all the time though. If there's a way to post a video I will.

Car has 180000 miles on it so my mind goes to timing chain but also wondering if it could be my computer messing up. I also feel it "drag" sometimes when i'm at highway speeds with steady throttle.
Laura (Shorty)
1978 AMC Concord 2DR Hatchback w/ Ralley package
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited w/ 5 speed
1971 Ford F250:)

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Erratic Idle/fuel mileage/Timing
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2019, 12:06:42 PM »
Have you considered the thought that the EPA etc. actually changes the composition of the gasoline during the winter months. Here in the Chicago area I expect my mileage to decrease by 2-3 mpg during that time plus the fact that it's running a bit richer until warm-up.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2019, 11:37:25 PM »
Sure hadn't thought about that. Maybe that could explain some of the recent drop but it wouldn't explain the drop from one day to the next like when I came home from Colorado. Hopefully I'll figure it out soon! I'm pretty tired of 12.9...
Laura (Shorty)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2019, 09:47:15 PM »
I never used the timing mark on the balancer. They are known to slip. I time by ear and feel. Keep advancing until it pings under load and then back off a hair.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2019, 11:11:25 PM »
If you think the damper is going to pot. Replace it, plain and simple. It can cause serious wear to main bearings, and timing driven components including oil pump. Dont try to live with a bad damper, if thats the case. Otherwise i agree set timing by light than adjust to ping under load and back off till it stops.

Usuaully if a damper is bad the motor vibrates bad in my experience. There could be other symptoms?

Manitowoc WI

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2019, 05:36:35 PM »
Also, if your still running a cat make sure it's not plugged. You'll have symptoms like "drag at hyway speeds" .
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline trucker79005

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2019, 10:30:16 AM »
Thanks all! Don't think I've ever had an engine "ping" so hope I would recognize the sound. I don't think the engine vibrates bad so not sure if the balancer would be the issue but I do still have a cat. How would you tell if it was plugged?
Laura (Shorty)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk