News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 19, 2024, 03:40:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Transmission went out on new eagle and I have questions  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Tre107

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
Transmission went out on new eagle and I have questions
« on: January 03, 2019, 10:39:54 AM »
So I am new to owning an eagle I just got one that I traded for a corvair. I took it for a test drive and when the car got warmed up the transmission made a squealing noise and slipped so bad it didn’t move. It also puked a bunch of fluid on the ground. I let the car cool off and it drives until it warms up again. My question is, is my transmission trash what is going on, how hard is it to rebuild and how much will it cost, is there another transmission that bolts up to an eagle. Please help. Btw my eagle is a 1984 wagon with a strait six and an automatic.

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Re: Transmission went out on new eagle and I have questions
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2019, 10:21:12 PM »
There are trans fluid lines that go forward to the bottom of the radiator.  The radiator acts as a cooler for the trans fluid.  Make sure the lines are not blocked and the fluid is moving freely.  Or if you have an external trans fluid cooler, make sure that is not blocked.

Sounds like everything is fine until the trans gets warm, then the cooling circuit becomes active.  If it's blocked maybe the pressure builds and sends the fluid up the dipstick tube.
Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline Tre107

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 10:39:27 AM »
Well also I can’t get the car above 50mph because the trans slips up hills even when cold

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 11:30:31 AM »
The fact that it puked a bunch of fluid, isn't good. Did you refill it? It's not good to drive the Eagle with a slipping transmission. You can be doing more damage. The 6 cylinder Eagles, came with a Torqueflite 998 transmission also known as a TF998. It's a very similar to a TF904 with some minor modifications. The Torqueflite is a Chrysler transmission and I'm told one of the easiest to rebuild. I've never rebuilt a transmission nor have any desire to do so. I had mine rebuilt in an Eagle I used to own and with me removing the transmission and taking it to the shop, it cost me $650. That included a new torque converter a Transgo shift kit installed (I paid for the shift kit) and they upgraded it to TF999 specs. The TF999 came in Jeep Wranglers and has a few upgrades.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »
I had mine rebuilt last year & it cost $1500. They did all the labor.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk